Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Give us a clue

Views : 710

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 18:34   #1
sheena

Default Give us a clue

Hi everyone,

Wondered if you would be so kind as to help me solve a problem.
Most of you may know, but those of you who don't... We've had the M Reg 850 2.5 GLT since the beginning of the month.

We noticed last week that the carpets were wet under the rubber mats, so we dried them out and thought it to be from the guy who we bought the car off. He had a vax next to the car when we bought it, so assumed that he had cleaned the carpets (he said he had given it a thorough clean, and it looked it too).

However, we thought it was the heater matrix, and have ripped the car apart only to find the water that is in both passenger and driver footwell's is actually in the sponge under the plastic lining.

We have had the car running with the heater's on full for 30 mins and there is no sign of any leaks coming from the matrix. SO any clue's as to where the water could be coming from? Or do you think I might be worrying unduly?

Car was fully serviced last week also, and there was no mention of any problems then either.

Any suggestions?
sheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 20:17   #2
AndysR
VOC Member

Maybe a poorly previously fitted/sealed windscreen? or a door seal that isn't sealing well?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 20:38   #3
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Hi everyone,

Wondered if you would be so kind as to help me solve a problem.
Most of you may know, but those of you who don't... We've had the M Reg 850 2.5 GLT since the beginning of the month.

We noticed last week that the carpets were wet under the rubber mats, so we dried them out and thought it to be from the guy who we bought the car off. He had a vax next to the car when we bought it, so assumed that he had cleaned the carpets (he said he had given it a thorough clean, and it looked it too).

However, we thought it was the heater matrix, and have ripped the car apart only to find the water that is in both passenger and driver footwell's is actually in the sponge under the plastic lining.

We have had the car running with the heater's on full for 30 mins and there is no sign of any leaks coming from the matrix. SO any clue's as to where the water could be coming from? Or do you think I might be worrying unduly?

Car was fully serviced last week also, and there was no mention of any problems then either.

Any suggestions?
Check the two pipes on either end of the scuttle that drain rainwater that lands on the windscreen through the engine bay and to below the car.... They may well be blocked....

Jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Apr 20th, 2010 at 20:40.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 20:38   #4
v70cd

Hi Sheena

My V70 had similar probs last year. I thought it was my heater matrix too, until the floor still filled up even when I hadn't started the car all day.
It turned out that the water drains were clogged with old leaves etc. These are located at the bottom of the windscreen next to the base of each wiper. They're approx 2 inches wide and lets the excess water from the windscreen etc flow out from the engine bay.
I took mine out completely then gave 'em a good clean - this sorted me water problem.
Worth a try. Good Luck...

240 DL, 240 GL, 740 GLT, 440 GLT, 960 3.0CD, S40 1.6, 240GL, 240 SE, 262C Bertone, V70 T5, V70 CD TDi, C70 2.0T.
v70cd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 20:44   #5
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70cd View Post
Hi Sheena

My V70 had similar probs last year. I thought it was my heater matrix too, until the floor still filled up even when I hadn't started the car all day.
It turned out that the water drains were clogged with old leaves etc. These are located at the bottom of the windscreen next to the base of each wiper. They're approx 2 inches wide and lets the excess water from the windscreen etc flow out from the engine bay.
I took mine out completely then gave 'em a good clean - this sorted me water problem.
Worth a try. Good Luck...
Beat Ya.......
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 20:59   #6
v70cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
Beat Ya.......
I was watching Holby City at the time...my own fault !!

240 DL, 240 GL, 740 GLT, 440 GLT, 960 3.0CD, S40 1.6, 240GL, 240 SE, 262C Bertone, V70 T5, V70 CD TDi, C70 2.0T.
v70cd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 21:14   #7
Volvo UK
"sakerhet"

I too have EXACTLY the same problem, my thread is still open in fact.

I've done some research into this and something to check would be the 'O' rings inside and under the bonnet, these apparently are quite common in failure and as the rubber/foam sheet underneath the carpet only goes 'up' to certain high in the footwell, I guess it's quite possible for some coolant/ a/c fluid to seep under the carpet.

Mine is going into Fisher Volvo in Gloucester this week for a few bits, this is now on the list for my indy to investigate.

Keep us posted on your developments

1999 Volvo V70
Currently undergoing Heico surgery
Volvo UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 09:19   #8
KBB
Master Tech

If you have confirmed no leakage from the heater matrix, and the scutle panel drain tubes are clear the next area is a blocked drain tube on the AC evaperator catch tray.

Quite a common one on many makes, the eveperator will have water condencing on it. Quick clue with car static and AC on you shoul have small drops of water forming just behind the engine centre.

This is the water draining from the catch tray out through the drain tube.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 09:35   #9
stevo48
Premier Member

If you still have the car stripped of carpets have someone sit in the car whilst someone else sprays car with hose, sprinkler or jetwash, watch for water running into car and trace the source, alternatively sprinkle talc liberally inside the car then apply hose to outside, water will leave tell tale trace in talc.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote