Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Towing Electrics

Views : 4547

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 16:34   #11
Nig

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpT5 View Post
The 7 way smart relay you have ordered will sort out your problem.

I fit Witter towbars for a living and your car should not have been wired up without a bypass relay.

It sounds like your fitter has wired your 12n socket directly to the vehicle loom.

I use smart relays from Ryder towing, they are brilliant and have no problems at all with even the most complex lighting circuits.

The whole purpose of the bypass relay is so any current drawn via your 12n socket is taken directly from another positive source, i.e the battey +ve terminal via a suitable inline fuse. The 12v signals from your vehicle's wiring loom are only used to switch the smart relay, the current consumed is only milliamps and as such, your 12n socket and anything connected to it will be invisible to your vehicle and it's bulb checking system.
i have took a witter off a scrap v70 and the wires were spliced in and only a buzzer fitted, i took the buzzer but couldnt find any relay,
I have read there is a plug ready to accept a volvo towbar but cannot find it ?
Does anyone know where this plug is ?
Was thinking of spade connecting the 7 wires to this .

if not can you let me know where you got your relay from andy please ?

Last edited by Nig; Apr 28th, 2011 at 16:44.
Nig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 17:43   #12
Nig

all i can find is this

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22047
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:57   #13
kenny37

Hi Nig I fitted towbar to my V70 D5(MY2006) yesterday and was a doddle using the volvo plug in loom sourced through rufe which is the best way to go as you just pug in add a fuse or two and away you go , I hope as so far ive checked all the lights on my trailer but not checked the charging system for caravan yet this being the 13 pin version.
In the left hand rear corner of the boot is a fuse box and in the top right hand corner theres a spare socket that the wiring plug fits into . onto this new loom you need a trailer control module but theis just plugs into the plugs (2) on the loom wiring . whether you go for the 7 or 13 pin socket this is allready fitted and sealed and all you do is pass wirng up from underneeth car through the precut hole and reseal with the gromet thats on the loom plug in and still box down and get yourself a cup of coffee as your finnished!!!
kenny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:27   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny37 View Post
Hi Nig I fitted towbar to my V70 D5(MY2006) yesterday and was a doddle using the volvo plug in loom sourced through rufe which is the best way to go as you just pug in add a fuse or two and away you go , reseal with the gromet thats on the loom plug in and still box down and get yourself a cup of coffee as your finnished!!!

Only way to go in my opinion. Lack of hassle makes the cost worthwhile.

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 15:32   #15
kenny37

just hooked up to the van and all lights work and no problems but dont seem to have the charging bit yet ,read some where i need another relay cant see where it would fit but will let you know when/if i found out if your car has factory fitted reversing sensors then thes relay should already be there.
kenny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:38   #16
Andy76

Hi Nig

I got my relay form Overland Caravans in Falkirk as the mail order one I ordered never came in time as it was out of stock. Overland is local to me. From memory its about £30

Andy
Andy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 19:36   #17
tonyvolvo

Default Electric's

Hi andy. There is only one way to fit a 7 pin system that is to fit a volvo plug in. I have done my last 3 volvo's. Only using a plug in. The last one i got from braydon moter's london. £14 +p&p
tonyvolvo
01873 853826
tonyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 16:01   #18
Nig

Hi , thanks for the replies the towbar is on just needs wiring , there is a grommet in the left corner for the wire and a black plug into a grey box which I thought was some sort of relay or bulb failure sensor but looks like it is just a blank for the plug
so hopefully I can just spade connect into there, I am on 12 hour nights at the mo so am a bit cream crackered lol , so will have a look tomorrow and try it,

will take a couple of pics and if it works post them up for future reference,
The Following User Says Thank You to Nig For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:21   #19
Nig

here is the lead coming through the grommet on the left side (nearside) as veiwed from the rear

this is the plug into a grey box

Old May 23rd, 2011, 15:13   #20
Nig

just to add to this thread, the box in the picture has internal electronics for the rear lights and brake lights so the towbar wiring is spliced straight into the rear lights, all works fine