Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on tools for brake disc/pad change (S60)

Views : 1955

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2011, 18:13   #11
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
Hello

Good luck on the brakes.

JUst a bit of advice others on the forum may back me up on.

If you are replacing the rear disks and pads, you should also replace the handbrake shoes. They are likely to fall apart and drop onto your drive whilst removing your old disks. They are only £20 a set and are the cause of hundreds of pounds of common damage as they are not part of a service schedule and the friction material comes away from the shoe. Have a look at some of the damage caused here. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=89899

So, my and others would recommend whilst having the disk replaced, you replace the handbrake shoes for the little cost they are..

Hope all goes well.
Absolutely spot on...OP sorry I totally forgot to mention that^^^

get some mintex shoes and throw the Volvo ones in the bin...they are NOT fit for purpose

-------my reply to someone else on PH--------

when I bought my S60 the previous owner had bought mintex discs and pads all round BUT ONLY fitted the front ones...leaving the rear ones in the boot for me to fit

I then read about the handbrake shoes coming apart on the Volvo forum so bought some mintex ones...did the lot myself in about an hour....when I took the old discs off BOTH lower shoes had the brake material coming away due to corrosion of the shoe metal surface, so lucky I did it when I did

it was a nice little job actually.

I have seen cases where the hub is completely wrecked due to the brake material coming off the shoe at high speed due to corrosion on the Genuine Volvo shoes... costing £££'s

if you are in any doubt as to weather yours has had new shoes then fit them ASAP..for the sake of £20 for mintex rear shoes and easy to fit it is not worth the gamble imho

y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 18:14   #12
benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
Hello

Good luck on the brakes.

JUst a bit of advice others on the forum may back me up on.

If you are replacing the rear disks and pads, you should also replace the handbrake shoes. They are likely to fall apart and drop onto your drive whilst removing your old disks. They are only £20 a set and are the cause of hundreds of pounds of common damage as they are not part of a service schedule and the friction material comes away from the shoe. Have a look at some of the damage caused here. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=89899

So, my and others would recommend whilst having the disk replaced, you replace the handbrake shoes for the little cost they are..

Hope all goes well.
Thanks...from my cars service history these were replaced in May 2008 hence why I wasnt necessarily planning on doing it. Would you recommend changing them again anyway?
benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 18:18   #13
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson View Post
Thanks...from my cars service history these were replaced in May 2008 hence why I wasnt necessarily planning on doing it. Would you recommend changing them again anyway?
Ermm.. Three years old now, and you are replacing the disks so will have full access to them.. Personally for £20, yes I would change them..

Or maybe if you have a option from a local supplier to return unused, have them ready. and replace if you think when the disks are off?
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 18:19   #14
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
do you know if they were replaced with another set of Genuine Volvo ones?

if they were I'd throw some decent ones on it, as it is quick and easy to do as you are taking the discs off anyway
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 18:36   #15
benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
do you know if they were replaced with another set of Genuine Volvo ones?

if they were I'd throw some decent ones on it, as it is quick and easy to do as you are taking the discs off anyway
okay, sounds like reasonable advice so I'll get them changed.

Found these on ebay, are these the ones to go for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60-...item53d6e1bc09
benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 18:46   #16
chiptivo
Premier Member

Don't have time to check, but eurocarparts have a 25% off code this weekend.

With free delivery also, they may be cheaper, although on first looks I can't find shoes related to my car reg at the moment...
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 19:10   #17
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
okay, sounds like reasonable advice so I'll get them changed.

Found these on ebay, are these the ones to go for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60-...item53d6e1bc09
MINTEX REAR HANDBRAKE SHOES

MFR477

VOLVO S60/S80

FITS THE FOLLOWING

ALL MODELS

1998 - ONWARDS

YOU ARE PURCHASING A FULL SET TO DO BOTH REAR WHEELS (4 SHOES IN TOTAL 2 PER REAR WHEEL)

I'd say so
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 21:10   #18
Bill_56
Premier Member

Hi Benson,

I know this is beyond the scope of your initial question, but just to ensure you have the right tools for the job...

... for the caliper pins, make sure you are prepared with a 7mm hex 'allen key', or more probably a 7mm hex wrench of some kind, as a typical allen key wouldn't give enough torque.

Personally I have a 7mm hex key for my socket set, which allows me to tighten the caliper pins using a torque wrench, and be sure they're 'right'. Unfortunately, this would probably be a different torque wrench to the one for wheel-bolts, as it's a much lower torque (30Nm), and these tools only operate within their own ranges. But many people would regard that as overkill, so don't feel compelled to use a torque wrench on the caliper pins
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 21:25   #19
Peter D
Peter D

Never just press the piston back, always open the bleed nipple and expel the old and contaminated fluid into a jar. Nip up the nipple and continue to replace the pads as normal. I personally always bleed out at lease 50ml a caliper ensuring clean fluid in the caliper. Remember to keep the header tank topped up. Either have an assistant using 3/4 pedal strokes or a pressure bleeder. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter D For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 21:45   #20
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
Never just press the piston back, always open the bleed nipple and expel the old and contaminated fluid into a jar. Nip up the nipple and continue to replace the pads as normal. I personally always bleed out at lease 50ml a caliper ensuring clean fluid in the caliper. Remember to keep the header tank topped up. Either have an assistant using 3/4 pedal strokes or a pressure bleeder. Regards Peter

good point

I always change the brake fluid as good practise when I buy any car, then replace every year during the service....so the fluid in the system is never old or contaminated.