Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 262c Bertone

Views : 6988

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 23:58   #11
dan 244
Master Member

Once broken, will the parts amount to more than 1000 then! I would have thought the seats and door cards might make 150, the wheels 75 - 100, the engine and gearbox 150 - 200, then you are down to oddits of trim etc 0-20 each. Genuine question is it worth more broken or a a whole? Looking at the S reg 244 that is being broken on ebay, bits dont even seem to be selling, and that is low millage and mint looking.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 00:08   #12
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

Why not post the car and the sellers info in the for sale section, then if anyone is willing to take it on they can make him/her an offer?

They are so rare now it would be nice to see someone have the bottle to restore it rather than break it. I'm getting close finishing restoring mine, ok it's taken nearly 6 years but then I don't have a garage to work in and I don't have much spare time. It's been a case of welding in between the showers when I can find a spare hour.

I think most "sensible" people would have looked at mine when I had it and said don't bother, but although 3 out of 4 pillars had huge gaping holes in them, the "safety cell" structures were still solid as a rock and meant the car was structurally very solid.

The biggest potential expense is finding parts for the V6 engine, and people who are willing to work on them. So my V6 is mothballed until I win the lottery and a B23E with a weber DGV and an M46 box has taken its place for now. Maybe I should rename it a 242C GLT?

As you are only offering lights/trim/interior one suspects the car is going on the banger track?
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 00:16   #13
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

Forgot to mention, a mate at work whose son races has told me that 3 x 262's have been raced this year that he knows about. Given that Kens research is nearly 3 years old, and 240's have been raced mercilessly since Bluebirds and Granadas have dried up I wonder how many are actually left...

Could be worth updating the records? Or would it be too scary!
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 00:22   #14
dan 244
Master Member

I would be very interested in an updated list.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 08:28   #15
TheCaptain!

Well once I been to inspect it on Saturday I shall post some pictures up to get your verdict to sell it or break it. My mate is only offering it to me to strip it and race it but if its too good to race then it shall be for sale. Yes I am one of those dreaded Banger Racers but would rather see the good condition cars be saved. I own several classics on the road and have provided many an owners club with spares to keep there cars going on the roads so before you shoot me down Ive probally saved more classics than I have raced! I can only recall 2 being raced last year.
TheCaptain! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 18:36   #16
TheCaptain!

Well here she is!
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 01:05   #17
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

Looks a lot better than mine did when I first picked it up!
Clean the green fungus off, a project always looks a lot better when you do that.

The outer skin & seam of the rear pillar, (below the crown badge) is the usual rot spot, and this one looks good! Usually the vinyl is full of lumps where the rust is bubbling underneath, mine was through on both rears, rare to see an unrestored 262 with such tidy rear pillars.

I'm assuming the tape is on the front pillar because that has rusted through? That was one of the more nerve wracking bits of my restoration, wasn't that difficult in the end, just time consuming to get the cardboard template as good as I could before repeating the process getting the steel shaped and trimmed as close to perfection as my limited tools and experience would allow.

Wheelarches look good too.

Has it still got paperwork?
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 20:59   #18
john h
VOC Member

Looks savable.

Another plus is the number plate; that would have a value on transfer if the car was restored & MOT'd

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 09:45   #19
TheCaptain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Looks savable.

Another plus is the number plate; that would have a value on transfer if the car was restored & MOT'd

John
The number plates on a retention. Yes the tape is due to it being rotten its the same on both front pillars, the whole rear panel has rotted away to the bumper. Managed to get the engine running aswell! the chassis rails are rotten and the D/S sills are gone too. Not too sure on paperwork atm but I will ask when I see him next. I havent really got the time, space, tools or money to restore it.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 21:04   #20
LankyTim
Missing the point

I wouldnt worry too much about all these 262's being raced. The vast majority of them have been derelict for years and so do not appear on the radar when counting the remaining 262s in the U.K. They are invariably all rotters and fit only for scrap....

Its a similar situation with cars like Austin 3 litres. Theres meant to be something like 20 left in existance but theres been about 6 raced every year for the last 20 years. The ones that get raced are the ones that have been left in fields and were effectively "scrapped" years ago.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote