Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parrot mounting location photos

Views : 6118

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 16:30   #11
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd_19 View Post
Thanks for the hints Darryl, I was surprised that it didn't work tbh after seeing your installation. I know that to kill the centre speaker during a call I just need to turn off the Dolby, I had nothing coming from anywhere!

Its a bit odd.

Did you install all the leads etc behind the headunit or tuck them out of the way somewhere else?
No they wont fit directly behind or below sufficiently to allow the radio back into place BUT if you put your hand into the space left by the radio, to the right there is a void where you can get it all pushed out of the way.
When reinstalling, remember to get the top of the radio unit clipped in at an angle first and then pivot the lower edge forward. It does not simply slide straight back in.

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Aug 23rd, 2011 at 16:38.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 18:24   #12
csd_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
No they wont fit directly behind or below sufficiently to allow the radio back into place BUT if you put your hand into the space left by the radio, to the right there is a void where you can get it all pushed out of the way.
When reinstalling, remember to get the top of the radio unit clipped in at an angle first and then pivot the lower edge forward. It does not simply slide straight back in.

Darryl
Cheers Darryl, will investigate that hidey-hole at the weekend.

Any other thoughts as to why it wouldn't let me hear anything?

If your car feels like it's on rails, you're going too slow!
csd_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 23:51   #13
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

My Parrot 3100 is fitted below the climate unit, on the left-hand side. Not ideal positioning (was there when I bought the car), but it works I can get a pic if that would be useful.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 23:46   #14
daz1074

Default Parrot H/F fitting tip

If anyone here wants to have a go at fitting a Parrot Hands Free kit themselves, here's a little tip for you all.

This seems to predominately work for the Parrot kits with the screens, eg. CK3100, CK3200, MKi9100 & MKi9200.

When you open the parrot box and behold the wonders of the wiring loom that comes with the unit, you'll notice that two wires (red & orange) have inline fuses attached halfway along them, when you connect your SOT adapter lead, then connect the Parrot lead and all the other gubbins together, reconnect your radio, but don't fix it back into the dash just yet.

Turn your ignition on, and wait for the Parrot kit to boot up, once it has done that, turn ignition off, if the Parrot screen shuts off straight away, swap the red & orange wires around, so you'll have an orange wire connected to the red wire and vice versa.

Turn the ignition on again and wait for Parrot unit to boot up again, then switch ignition off, this time the Parrot screen should say "Goodbye" when it shuts down.

If it doesn't say "Goodbye", it isn't wired correctly, and you'll get problems with the unit playing up later down the line, and generally the blue controller box will need to be replaced at some expense.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 14:23   #15
csd_19

Just had another look at the wiring behind the HU. (HU-850, Dolby, amp under seat)

I have:

1 12 pin green plug into HU (normal HU cable)
1 grey 2-pin plug (2 antennae)
1 6-pin DIN plug (output to amp)

and obviously the flatter green plug for the climate unit and the connection for the 12v power point.

The only thing that may have been speaker connections are a grey plug, wrapped in foam, in a 6 pin 2 x 3 configuration. 8 wires go into this connection

Male side

1 - purple with white tracer cable
2 - 2 green with white tracer cables
3 - purple cable
4 - brown cable
5 - 2 green with white tracer cables
6 - brown cable

Female side

1 - red cable
2 - yellow/green cable
3 - pink cable
4 - brown cable
5 - yellow cable
6 - blue cable

Obviously the SOT-043 lead uses ISO connectors for the speakers and not the 6 pin. Is this like the newer V70 wiring?

The car is an 06-plate but has been confirmed as a MY07 car by Volvo, is there a chance the wiring had been changed to a later spec? If there ever was a change to the wiring that is?

Or is it the case that I need to get the adaptor lead for a later setup??

Any ideas folks? Didn't expect it to be as hard as this!!

Old Aug 27th, 2011, 14:40   #16
GMad
Premier Member

Mounted on a solid nylon bracket I made at work..
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 20:42   #17
csd_19

Quote:
Just had another look at the wiring behind the HU. (HU-850, Dolby, amp under seat)

I have:

1 12 pin green plug into HU (normal HU cable)
1 grey 2-pin plug (2 antennae)
1 6-pin DIN plug (output to amp)

and obviously the flatter green plug for the climate unit and the connection for the 12v power point.

The only thing that may have been speaker connections are a grey plug, wrapped in foam, in a 6 pin 2 x 3 configuration. 8 wires go into this connection

Male side

1 - purple with white tracer cable
2 - 2 green with white tracer cables
3 - purple cable
4 - brown cable
5 - 2 green with white tracer cables
6 - brown cable

Female side

1 - red cable
2 - yellow/green cable
3 - pink cable
4 - brown cable
5 - yellow cable
6 - blue cable

Obviously the SOT-043 lead uses ISO connectors for the speakers and not the 6 pin. Is this like the newer V70 wiring?

The car is an 06-plate but has been confirmed as a MY07 car by Volvo, is there a chance the wiring had been changed to a later spec? If there ever was a change to the wiring that is?

Or is it the case that I need to get the adaptor lead for a later setup??

Any ideas folks? Didn't expect it to be as hard as this!!
I found this thread about installing the Parrot with an amp'd setup

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publi...inter_327.html

That grey connection on the output from the amp is the same as the one in the SOT lead - is the parrot supposed to be connected at this point (on the output signal from the amp)? I take it the driver's seat will need to be removed/moved to get at the amp...

I would have thought that you'd want the parrot to splice in before the amp, unless the signal level from the HU to the amp is very low?

Sorry if all the questions seem very obvious, I didn't have any time to look at the car at all during the week and this weekend is a bit rushed as it is.

Old Aug 27th, 2011, 20:56   #18
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
I found this thread about installing the Parrot with an amp'd setup

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publi...inter_327.html

That grey connection on the output from the amp is the same as the one in the SOT lead - is the parrot supposed to be connected at this point (on the output signal from the amp)? I take it the driver's seat will need to be removed/moved to get at the amp...

I would have thought that you'd want the parrot to splice in before the amp, unless the signal level from the HU to the amp is very low?

Sorry if all the questions seem very obvious, I didn't have any time to look at the car at all during the week and this weekend is a bit rushed as it is.

I have EXACTLY the same amped HU850 as you and my car is a late 06.

I used SOT 043 and all connections were made within dash behind Head Unit. NO SEATS TOUCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is only one way that you can get it to all conect together and i have a feeling that the answer is in front of you but unfortunately without seeing it i cannot help further. IT SHOULD WORK

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 21:55   #19
csd_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I have EXACTLY the same amped HU850 as you and my car is a late 06.

I used SOT 043 and all connections were made within dash behind Head Unit. NO SEATS TOUCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is only one way that you can get it to all conect together and i have a feeling that the answer is in front of you but unfortunately without seeing it i cannot help further. IT SHOULD WORK
Darryl,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious. Where did you get the speaker connections from? There is only the DIN plug on the back of the HU taking the speaker signals to the amp, and it disappears into the wrapped loom behind the dash - no other sign of a plug that would match anything in the SOT 043 lead.

I know this setup obviously WORKS, as you and others have proved, i just can't see what I'm doing wrong with the kit.

With the SOT043 lead I received it was two separate constructions, there was a smaller lead that had a brown ISO plug on one end and a larger grey Volvo style socket on the other - did you have the same in yours, or did the whole 043 come as one piece? I slightly suspect I may have been sent the wrong adaptor lead

Old Aug 28th, 2011, 08:56   #20
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Can't help much but this may:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-wiring-diagrams/
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote