Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

car rolls down driveway when left in gear

Views : 4076

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:14   #21
Blue 8
Premier Member

Why on earth don't you lot just buy a set of wheel chocks, got to be better than running the risk of having your car plough in the your house and possibly killing either you or one of your loved ones surly, man where has all the common sense gone? gears are there to make your car move NOT hold in in place on a ruddy hill, thats where your hand brake comes into play and if not that wheel chocks of some kind.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy

Last edited by Blue 8; Jun 22nd, 2009 at 20:18.
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:29   #22
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
Why on earth don't you lot just buy a set of wheel chocks, got to be better than running the risk of having your car plough in the your house and possibly killing either you or one of your loved ones surly, man where has all the common sense gone? gears are there to make your car move NOT hold in in place on a ruddy hill, thats where your hand brake comes into play and if not that wheel chocks of some kind.
Never said the car had actually run away. Said it would runaway if left just in gear.
Why buy wheel chocks when there's a kerbstone right next to the car ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:38   #23
smudgethecat
I've Been Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Never said the car had actually run away. Said it would runaway if left just in gear.
Why buy wheel chocks when there's a kerbstone right next to the car ?
why use a kerbstone when you have a handbrake? sounds lke someones got a chock between the ears here
smudgethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:39   #24
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgethecat View Post
why use a kerbstone when you have a handbrake? sounds lke someones got a chock between the ears here
Park your car outside my house in the winter with your handbrake on overnight. I'll lend you a blow torch and a set of gloves to get you on your way in the morning.

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:40   #25
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Underhill View Post
I have the same issue with my V70 D5, after washing the car on the drive, the handbrake shoes tends to rust and stick making it a problem to move off next day, so as I'm too tight to drive around just to bry out the brakes, I leave the handbrake off and car in gear (first or reverse) on my fairly steep sloping towards the house drive and it has never moved. However, when I get in half asleep in the morning and dip the clutch for starting I sometimes get caught out with it rolling back before I catch it on the brake. My simple solution is a housebrick behind the back wheel, which acts as a distance guide, stops me rolling back and allows me to not use the handbrake after washing the car. Perhaps the D5 compression gives a better braking effect?
This and the OP is what i was referring too.

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:44   #26
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Park your car outside my house in the winter with your handbrake on overnight. I'll lend you a blow torch and a set of gloves to get you on your way in the morning.
Why? i have parked up all over euro in cars in temps like -20 if not lower and never had a problem with taking the hand brake off, i surgest you get your hand brake looked at either that or buys some chocks as a kerb might not always be available to use

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:49   #27
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Why? i have parked up all over euro in cars in temps like -20 if not lower and never had a problem with taking the hand brake off, i surgest you get your hand brake looked at either that or buys some chocks as a kerb might not always be available to use
-20 is getting cold, try -30 and my brakes have cost me almost EUR1000 over the past eighteen months from Volvo.
The handbrake friction lining separated from the shoe locking the offside rear wheel solid in the backing plate. Nice piece of kit to put your trust in.

Next time you apply your handbrake, check for slight movement. If it moves, it's on its way out. It will do it for a while, mine did this for a couple of years but when it goes, it goes without warning.

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 20:55   #28
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
-20 is getting cold, try -30 and my brakes have cost me almost EUR1000 over the past eighteen months from Volvo.
The handbrake friction lining separated from the shoe locking the offside rear wheel solid in the backing plate. Nice piece of kit to put your trust in.

Next time you apply your handbrake, check for slight movement. If it moves, it's on its way out. It will do it for a while, mine did this for a couple of years but when it goes, it goes without warning.
Fair play but most don't have your trouble, such as the posts before

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 21:04   #29
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Fair play but most don't have your trouble, such as the posts before
Just type handbrake shoes into the search engine here in this Forum.
This one is scary, I would recommend anyone with a P2 based car keep an eye on the handbrake.

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:01   #30
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Interesting thread ... from a petrol/diesel compression perspective.

As to why petrols hold better than diesels : -

Maybe it's because petrols have a butterfly, which prevents air being sucked in past the compression rings - whereas diesel engine speed is controlled purely by fuel injection, with the air intake effectively open to the atmosphere.