Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM Wiring/Repair Information

Views : 218399

Replies : 357

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2017, 12:33   #331
LPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPR View Post
I have only parking lights, no dipped, no main beam.
I do herar click from cem with new relays for dipped lights, so I guess light switch is ok.
Also main beam blue light is gloving constantly if I turn light switch to daylight or lights on position. Main beam switch does do notihing.

Any ideas?
It was stupid burned ground connection. Blue light and non clicking main beam relay mislead me
Lesson: loose or lost grounding can make stange things.
LPR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LPR For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 12:42   #332
molemot

Once again, this forum sorts it out....I'd lost the LH dip beam...bulb was OK...so I looked here! Instant diagnosis; ordered a new relay from Poland(!), then took out the module and had a happy time regressing to one of my old persona...electronics technician. Removed the relay and replaced it with new and all was well. A bit fiddly if you haven't done this stuff before, but what a cost effective fix!!! Many thanks to Russell S.....
molemot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to molemot For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 17:51   #333
JaniP

Same here!
Paid 5€ for parts repairing 600€ new part (CEM modul)!

Big Thanks to all smart and willing to help people on this forum!
JaniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 09:26   #334
Andy256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_S View Post
Hi, I've recently had a headlight problem which, at first, appeared to be the common CEM issue (see this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67437) but finally turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. However, while fault finding the problem I found out a bit about the CEM which I thought others could find useful in faulfinding their own headlight related issues. I've taken a few pictures to help with this.

I have attached to this thread the Volvo wiring diagram for the CEM and headlights because the Haynes manual is worse than useless in this respect as it doesn't even show the CEM in their wiring diagrams.
I have also attached the data sheet for the Fujitsu relays that are used for the headlight switching in the CEM. I originally assumed that they would be solid state relays but in fact they are normal miniature PCB mounting mechanical relays so it they do fail then the data sheet could help find a replacement to repair the CEM.

Firstly, for those who don't know where the Central Electronics Module (CEM) is situated, here is a picture:

Next we have a picture of the CEM circuit board itself highlighting the headlight relays:

and now a picture of the CEM connectors and their pin numbering to go with the attached wiring diagram:

Hopefully others will find this information useful as the CEM does appear to be a weak component with respect to headlight switching.

Regards

Russell
Hi although I'm a member of this site I still can't see those photos, can you please repost them , thanks Andy
Andy256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 09:06   #335
S40wolf

Hi does anyone know where the boot light on S40 2003 get it's power from as I want to run separate wire because the boot lid wireing loom is plàying up when moved so think I might have a broken wire inside
S40wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 15:40   #336
gatos
Premier Member

Wiring diagram here: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow...03_S40_V40.pdf

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 18:25   #337
aldred309uk

Does anyone know where I could source 2 dipped beam relays from? I've tried searching the code on the relay on eBay to no avail and wouldn't know where to start when trying to find one elsewhere.

P1CN012W1

Many thanks, Adrian.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 20:12   #338
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
Does anyone know where I could source 2 dipped beam relays from? I've tried searching the code on the relay on eBay to no avail and wouldn't know where to start when trying to find one elsewhere.

P1CN012W1

Many thanks, Adrian.
Radiospares/Farnell will have one if you have a pattern , They should be easy to obtain elsewhere too .
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 21:02   #339
aldred309uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Radiospares/Farnell will have one if you have a pattern , They should be easy to obtain elsewhere too .
There's a place called CPC Farnell near me in Preston which I was considering trying as second in my list tomorrow, an auto electrician is willing to do the replacement for me should I source the part.

That's for the tip!
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 13:41   #340
aldred309uk

To anyone looking for relays to replace your old ones, the original relay (P1CN012W1) has been discontinued and is tricky to find. I purchased my relays from RS components for £2 each. The relays I bought are made by Panasonic and it comes up as (JSM1-12V-5) and they have worked on my car.