Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Bifuel distributor

Views : 1846

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2009, 09:11   #1
duncanh

Default V40 Bifuel distributor

My factory fit bifuel runs fine on petrol but misfires and lacks power on LPG. I have changed the plugs, HT leads and renewed the inline gas filter. Next on the list of suspects is the stepper motor on the distributor. Before I pull it apart and clean it, do I need to get some kind of service kit, gaskets etc. Advice from anyone who has ever done this would be most welcome.
duncanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 20:40   #2
richjc4

http://lpg-kits.org.uk/shop/repair-k...t/prod_15.html

Think this is what you need buddy.
richjc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 15:16   #3
duncanh

Thanks for the link. I will get myself the kit. I saw your post from September. Sounds similar to my problems. Did you manage to get it sorted?
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 20:02   #4
richjc4

I took the distributor apart but didn't realise there was a repair kit available, will be getting the kit shortly so fingers crossed
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:14   #5
Hewey

If the distributor in the V40 is the same that is in V70, here are some useful pictures for you: http://www.volvo-forum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=2398

I'm not sure if the stepper motor can be internally cleaned, but if you manage to find a way, please do share your experiences. Of the mechanical parts, the most important area to clean would be the sliding cylinder V-shaped openings. It is easy to clean them when the cylinder is taken out of the distributor frame. You get to change the little O-rings then too. Brake cleaner / WD-40 / teflon spray will help you cleaning & lubricating the parts. In the repair set there is a small feeler gauge which you can use to carefully open the narrow end of the V-grooves.

Regards, Hewey
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 17:22   #6
richjc4

Yes its the same one was looking for that link to put on here
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 16:34   #7
duncanh

Thanks Rich and Hewey for the help and advice. I got myself a service kit, took the stepper motor off and pulled our the inner cylinder. Gave everything a scrape with the foil in the kit and washed the whole thing down with WD40. Replaced all the seals I could get at, put it back together and hey presto! Car runs perfectly.
I must admit that I don't know what fixed it as the grooves in the inner cylinder were pretty clean. Maybe the piston was sticking. I didn't disconnect any of the pipes as the hollow bolts were ridiculously tight I'm sure I could get them off on the bench but that would mean replacing all the hose clips with jubilee clips (all the hoses are secured with those clips that I'm sure manufacturers use to encourage you to go to the garage)
The link to the photos was very helpful. I would have never thought to pull the inner cylinder with an allen key without them
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 20:36   #8
MikeHill

Before you strip down the distributor can I suggest you try the following: buy a bottle of injector cleaner, disconnect the distributor feed gas tube from the filter - there will be a small escape of gas, do not smoke when doing this, probably best done with a cold engine. Pour half the can of injector cleaner into the tube, then reconnect. Start the engine on petrol, switch to gas and stop the engine as it splutters with the injector cleaner going into it. Leave to soak for an hour or so or even overnight, restart the engine on petrol then switch to gas - it may stall and you may have to repeat this a couple of times until all the cleaner has cleared and the flow of gas been re-established. I have just followed this procedure on my S80 factory bifuel with astonishing and pleasing results - it runs more smoothly now than it has since I bought it in Feb. Without the time and aggro of removing the distributor.

I think this procedure both cleans and lubricates the unit from the inside.

I came across this in a comment by POUCH in thread on this site http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76567
MikeHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:32   #9
pouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHill View Post
Before you strip down the distributor can I suggest you try the following: buy a bottle of injector cleaner, disconnect the distributor feed gas tube from the filter - there will be a small escape of gas, do not smoke when doing this, probably best done with a cold engine. Pour half the can of injector cleaner into the tube, then reconnect. Start the engine on petrol, switch to gas and stop the engine as it splutters with the injector cleaner going into it. Leave to soak for an hour or so or even overnight, restart the engine on petrol then switch to gas - it may stall and you may have to repeat this a couple of times until all the cleaner has cleared and the flow of gas been re-established. I have just followed this procedure on my S80 factory bifuel with astonishing and pleasing results - it runs more smoothly now than it has since I bought it in Feb. Without the time and aggro of removing the distributor.

I think this procedure both cleans and lubricates the unit from the inside.

I came across this in a comment by POUCH in thread on this site http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76567
This is pouch! this worked for me again this week when my car stalled again,i beleve the gas dist never neads to come off,unless the stepper goes wrong.Im made up that this has worked fo others!
pouch is offline   Reply With Quote