Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Be aware of Ebay!!!

Views : 1792

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 19:18   #21
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
Exactly what happened to me. Typical buyer these days.
I had to read that a few times before realising it wasn't you who bought my stereo
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 19:33   #22
Volvon
Master Member

eBay and Paypal which ebay own are the worst things on the internet. They blacklist you if you get too many negatives and then you can't have an eBay account or Paypal account the rest of your life (had this told to me on the phone by Paypal when I kicked off over something)! They are not a bank and therefore are NOT regulated by the FSA or Banking codes and basically can do whatever the hell they like with your money and face zero consequences. All you have to do is look at car stuff on ebay, theres a bout 20 powersellers and barely anything coming through private people because they were probably blacklisted years ago. The scam thing about not receiving items is out of control, and to be fair, its gonna kill ebay off, and thats probably a good thing. If eBay dies it will help free enterprise and small business's all over the place. Right now, small business are hanging by a shoethread, customers come in see a price and say "I can get that cheaper on eBay do it for X amount or I won't buy it". Little known to the shop owner the lad has been blacklisted off eBay like 90% of the population. Rant over.

EDIT - and don't get me started on the Chinese on there. Its one thing people selling chinese guff on the highstreet, atleast money is going into local pockets and back into the economy. Buying chinese guff direct off them is what is wrong with the world today.

Last edited by Volvon; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 19:37.
Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:17   #23
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvon View Post
eBay and Paypal which ebay own are the worst things on the internet. They blacklist you if you get too many negatives and then you can't have an eBay account or Paypal account the rest of your life (had this told to me on the phone by Paypal when I kicked off over something)! They are not a bank and therefore are NOT regulated by the FSA or Banking codes and basically can do whatever the hell they like with your money and face zero consequences. All you have to do is look at car stuff on ebay, theres a bout 20 powersellers and barely anything coming through private people because they were probably blacklisted years ago. The scam thing about not receiving items is out of control, and to be fair, its gonna kill ebay off, and thats probably a good thing. If eBay dies it will help free enterprise and small business's all over the place. Right now, small business are hanging by a shoethread, customers come in see a price and say "I can get that cheaper on eBay do it for X amount or I won't buy it". Little known to the shop owner the lad has been blacklisted off eBay like 90% of the population. Rant over.

EDIT - and don't get me started on the Chinese on there. Its one thing people selling chinese guff on the highstreet, atleast money is going into local pockets and back into the economy. Buying chinese guff direct off them is what is wrong with the world today.
The scam thing about not receiving items is out of control

Indeed it is. Good way for buyers to get items and not pay a dime!

I know for a fact a buyer did this to me because they complained one day after I posted the item and then the next claimed it hadn't arrived and got their money back, I was livid and when they were refunded I wrote the buyer a nasty email calling them for everything. I hate scum like them that would steal money from others without even thinking about it!

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 00:39   #24
c_lee
VOC26332

I have used eBay for many years - about 10 - and only had one problem.
That was many years ago when I bought some ' must have ' stylish boots for my teen daughter and they genuinely didn't arrive after weeks.
They were £135.
Turns out the seller was a scammer.

I opened a dispute and was refunded the money without too much difficulty.

I knew the responsibility for the delivery lay with the seller because some time before I sold a laser printer to someone and had to post it.
They didn't receive it within a normal posting time scale and I followed it up with Parcellforce ( they lost it ) and followed it through to a belated delivery.

In fact I have feedback early on in my eBay profile thanking me for for doing so once the buyer received it.
The responsibility was mine and the fact that I followed it up thoroughly made the positive feedback for that transaction even better.
It showed I accepted my responsibilities, pain though it was.

I know things are not quite the same today and I would be inclined NOT to sell on eBay now - or specify cleared cheque only for payment.
Certainly not PayPal.

I only buy on eBay now and choose carefuly who I buy from.

I am breaking a 240 at present but none of the parts are on eBay, nor do I expect them to be in the future.

I have sold there in the past but not likely to do so now.

On the whole I think it's quite good for genuine buyers though.

Colin
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 08:38   #25
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I don't know why we have various postal methods whereby the received signs for the item as proof they have received it, as it's not just Ebay taking the side of the buyer even when they have signed for the item by Recorded Delivery but plenty of other institutions insist a signature for receipt doesn't count!! Despite my MP taking my case up against the DWP a few years back when the DWP had signed for my letter via Recorded Delivery ,the DWP were still insistent that they hadn't received it and told my MP they hadn't and yet there is was on the internet signed for by them on such and such a date!!
Unfortunately the items are not signed for on an individual basis. There could be 5 items in a pile or 500 items in a pile requiring 'Signed for' delivery. There is only one blanket signature for the lot. The PO has a list of what should be in the pile and make it look like each has received a separate receipt signature. This has been explained to me by the Post Office when I was chasing something some time ago.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 08:42   #26
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeringo View Post
As long as the listing has 12 hours still to run, you can withdraw it
I have been on the receiving end of a listing being pulled with mere seconds to run when I was lead bidder. Seller's response was "You didn't expect me to let it go for that little did you?" and eBay did nothing by way of censure when I told them what had happened. Other prospective buyers that I contacted told me that the seller had done the same at least twice with the same goods. Seller was trying to evade 'Reserve' fees.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:44   #27
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Know what? I really miss Yahoo! Auctions and NOCHEX. Why the monopoly and mergers commission didn't investigate the eBay strong arming and 'takeover' of Yahoo! Auctions in the UK is a mystery to me.

I guess someone's pockets were lined quite nicely.

Chris...
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:28   #28
catflem
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
I have been on the receiving end of a listing being pulled with mere seconds to run when I was lead bidder. Seller's response was "You didn't expect me to let it go for that little did you?" and eBay did nothing by way of censure when I told them what had happened. Other prospective buyers that I contacted told me that the seller had done the same at least twice with the same goods. Seller was trying to evade 'Reserve' fees.
There is an easier way around the no reserve fees - as long as you're prepared to wait a couple of weeks.

At least once a month, but often twice a month, ebay announce a free listings weekend. I simply place my items for sale at the minumum price I will accept for them. If they don't sell at my minimum (or reserve) price it hasn't cost me a penny.

Another thing I don't understand is why people pay ebay to have the pictures on the listing - if you embed them in the listing description via the HTML tab they're free, and can be much larger than the pictures you pay 15p a go for ebay to host.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 14:47   #29
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvon View Post
Except for Volvos, of course
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote