Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!!! HELP!!! 960KG, GATOS.anyone with knowledge.. no clutch

Views : 18986

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2011, 20:16   #41
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
hi,took the plastic thing off and removed the rubber cover,and managed to get some molegrips on the rod,but ufortunately it was solid....but thanks for effort......gatos and 960kg...i tried tightening the rod itself...should i have put the molegrips on the end of the rod(picture1)....as i tried tightening the rod from the middle of it
volvo v40 2003 1.9 td sport estate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2251.JPG (187.9 KB, 19 views)
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 22:15   #42
neanderthal
Master Member

Smile

i would just like to say a big thank you to the following people for all the information,diagrams,pictures,hints,and time and effort in helping me to understand the fault with my volvo.....GATOS960KGBIOTOXICV40B ARTSIAMBLUEANDY D...i will let you all know in due course the outcome.i feel more confident that the volvo will be back on the road soon thanks to this info....much appreciated.regards neanderthal......keep up the great work
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 22:27   #43
inchley313
Insane!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
i would just like to say a big thank you to the following people for all the information,diagrams,pictures,hints,and time and effort in helping me to understand the fault with my volvo.....GATOS960KGBIOTOXICV40B ARTSIAMBLUEANDY D...i will let you all know in due course the outcome.i feel more confident that the volvo will be back on the road soon thanks to this info....much appreciated.regards neanderthal......keep up the great work
There are some very nice people on this site who's help is greatly appreciated and have also helped me with my recent problems (and there has been a few and likely to be a few more of)

So I'd like to second that with a thanks from myself!!!
inchley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inchley313 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 21:57   #44
neanderthal
Master Member

hi,update.i managed to take everything apart myself ,except for dropping the gearbox(brotherly love) to get to the clutch slave cylinder.(picture 2 of 3)...volvo main dealers have quoted £111 including vat for the slave cylinder.will update more when i find the money as i need other parts....thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2303.jpg (185.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2304.jpg (237.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2308.jpg (209.9 KB, 33 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 22:21   #45
gatos
Premier Member

Well done. I am sure it was a fun experience.... Keep us updated.

Check with Rufe for a good price and see if it is cheaper.

Maybe its worth emaling this guy and ask for the part number:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-S4...item43aa386490

Also check here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=126676

DWM got one for £70

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Oct 13th, 2011 at 22:24.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 22:49   #46
andy_d
Premier Member

Parts Monster, as per the link from Gatos/ebay, they Can and will advise by emal/phone if the part is correct going on reg number or vin number.

it Might be just seals in the slave cyl, parts monster also have repair kits for slave cyls
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S-V4...item415acc5fe8

there looks to be a fair bit of fluid "fling" around the bell housing and on the outside of the pressure plate. it would be worth removing that and checking the friction plate for contamination by fluid as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 23:27   #47
neanderthal
Master Member

thanks gatos and andy d...i am afraid i dont feel confident enough to touch the clutch as i am assuming it would have to be re-alligned,i have never taken a clutch apart.also i think i would rather buy a new slave cylinder as again i dont feel confident or know how to take that apart either....i appreciate that you are trying to save me some money....i will get someone to have a look at the clutch,and go from there.by the way, should the gearbox have had a seal round it(gasket),as i only noticed remmenants of some black stuff...thanks...ps i will try parts monster and rufe..

Last edited by neanderthal; Oct 13th, 2011 at 23:33.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 23:56   #48
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

The clutch is only held on with 6 or 8 torx screws, then it will come apart.. it will have to be lined again for it to go back in...

Gary
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 00:25   #49
neanderthal
Master Member

thanks siamblue.thats what i was concerned about.would the garage have to re-align it.thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 00:45   #50
andy_d
Premier Member

its not too hard to re line the clutch up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpE-RbZKw1c

fairly ok vid showing what/how and a method where you dont need a special tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuJzK...eature=related
with the clutch alignment tool,

its "only" a matter of lining the friction plate with the pressure plate ,getting it central to that so the splined hole is exactly in the middle

worse that happens is
you find the gear box Wont line up/mate with the engine, you slip the box back out the way, undo the bolts and fiddle it central, then try again,as long as you dont hammer the box home you shouldnt be able to cause any extra damage.
cost > a bit more time to fiddle it to central,
garage will want a chunk to swap the clutch. and some will try and tell you "they need X y z special tools,,etc,,,", they dont.

lost count of the times i had to drop the box on my Tr7 always chucked it all together without any special tools,,and that was a RWD , with a huge heavy gbox, and a rather heavy pressure plate asm. did it all on axel stands with a trolly jack, 30-40 mins total from up in air,, strip, swap/fix, rebuild, wheels down.

if you look @ your 3rd picture, you can see the center splines that will pick up the shaft on the gearbox, And a nice "dimple" in the shiny bit behind it (crank) That is the clutch all aligned spot on,, and what you are aiming for when "done"
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: