Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SMB - my daily driver

Views : 3611

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 17:17   #1
Velorum
VOC Member

Default SMB - my daily driver

Well, after the demise of my S40 I decided to return to owning a 240. With an ebay deal that involved the disposal of my accident damaged S40 (now written off) this very nice G plate auto GL arrived on the drive.

Its great to be driving one of these again!

SMB (as she seems to be becoming known in the household) is a 1990 model with just over 124K on the clock, one previous owner and a FSH. Although very clean she is not mint - and is unlikely ever to be as this is now my daily driver! Although there are no rust issues or major mechanical problems (that I am aware of!) there are a number of small jobs that Ive noted. Some are cosmetic whilst others are minor trim issues.

My first job was to sort out the petrol flap which didnt close properly - details in this thread
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=171213

I was so pleased to have this sorted

Next was a repair for the cracked dash - looks more noticeable in the photo than in the flesh!

Turning my attention to he engine bay I checked out the automatic flap in the air box and sure enough it was stuck on 'open' thus sucking hot air in from the manifold even when the engine had warmed up. The metal pipe from manifold to air box was binned, the flap assembly removed and the now redundant hole in the box blanked off with the cap from a spray can. Whilst in the engine bay I touched up some areas suffering from minor surface rust with white and black smoothrite. There are still some unsightly areas in there which I will get round to painting in time. The brake servo will be next I think.

Today I decided to tidy up the slots below the rear window as the edges were beginning to show signs of surface rust. The good thing about white paintwork is that its easy to spot the early stages of the rusting process.

By the time I had finished that I was feeling rather chilly so decided to move inside to have a look at the dash. Of all the 240's Ive owned this one has the noisiest dash of any of them - continual creaking as you drive along! Time to get out the rubber off cuts box. After 15 minutes of carefully wedging pieces of rubber cut to fit into assorted gaps etc virtually all creaks were cured.

I took SMB for a short drive along some of the very rough roads we have around here and was very pleased at how quiet things were

MOT time tomorrow so fingers are firmly crossed!

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Apr 17th, 2013 at 17:03. Reason: title change
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 18:12   #2
Eddy Matthews
VOC Member

Good luck with the MOT, hope it sails through....

I like the idea of the pieces of rubber to stop the dash creaking, a neat solution!

Regards
Eddy
Eddy Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 21:24   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Rubber noise dampers

A good idea indeed - must have a look for some bits for mine.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 19:15   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Nice to see you back in a 240 Ian.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 19:19   #5
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Nice to see you back in a 240 Ian.
Thank you kind sir

Its good to be back!

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 19:55   #6
kirkwallcity

I see that your wheel trims are the same as the ones on mine when I got it.

I pulled the centre caps off and replaced them. Got a local metal fabricator to cut out four 5" discs of light-weight aluminium. I then sanded, primed and sprayed them silver, added new black logos from www.davebarton.com and stuck them on.

I think in some ways the black is more eye-catching than the originals and it has certainly livened them up. See attached (poor) photograph.

Well worth a days work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel trim.jpg (50.5 KB, 19 views)
kirkwallcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 21:12   #7
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwallcity View Post
I see that your wheel trims are the same as the ones on mine when I got it.

I pulled the centre caps off and replaced them. Got a local metal fabricator to cut out four 5" discs of light-weight aluminium. I then sanded, primed and sprayed them silver, added new black logos from www.davebarton.com and stuck them on.

I think in some ways the black is more eye-catching than the originals and it has certainly livened them up. See attached (poor) photograph.

Well worth a days work.
That looks great

I fitted Torslanda 14" alloys to one of my past GL's but they were a bugger to clean!

I might consider doing something similar to your excellent work
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 21:20   #8
Velorum
VOC Member

Well, just failed the MOT on:
  • excessive play offside track rod and ball joint
  • excessive free play nearside steering system
  • headlamp aim too high both sides

Not too bad - no advisories and Im surprised that the discolored headlamp reflectors didnt get a mention - good news I can leave replacing these for a few months!

Should have the above sorted within the time limit for a reduced fee partial retest

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 19:04   #9
Mike1967
Premier Member

hello stranger ... oh so back in a 240 again Ian . Didnt think it would be long for you to be in one again . Looks a nice one sir !
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 19:26   #10
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1967 View Post
hello stranger ... oh so back in a 240 again Ian . Didnt think it would be long for you to be in one again . Looks a nice one sir !
Thanks Mike

Good to be back

Passed MOT a few weeks ago

New cam belt, alternator and rear pads today

Only problem so far is the mechanic cant get the two central spark plugs out - he is worried about stripping the threads. We had a long chat about this today and decided that we would leave them in situ for another 6K when a service will be due - he will then remove them and if it strips the threads he can get a chap in that can install helicoils without removing the head.

Apart from that one point all is well

I need to tidy up the rear arches (beginning of surface rust - easy job) and remove the headlight wipers when the weather gets better - whenever that will be!

Cheers
Ian

Last edited by Velorum; Mar 6th, 2013 at 19:30.
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post: