Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder

Views : 3825

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:41   #1
zx6rman_uk
S60 D5 Owner

Default Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder

Hi all,

S60 D5,,,

I did a quick search of the subject but didnt really get much returned other than a comment that it was a painful and fiddley job.

Are there any 'told you so's' that anyone is awear of, the breakers yard who are sourcing me the part say they have to move the engine forward to get the MC out. That doesnt sound like a lot of fun when I'll be trying to put it in my motor?

Anyone have experience of changing this or should I expect to have a garage do it for me which might possibly spare me some heart ache ?

Kind Regards all.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:57   #2
Peter D
Peter D

What is wrong with the master cylinder and are you really going to stick a used, breakers yard MC on your car and trust it. The car may be in the yard as the pedal went to the floor due to a duff M/C. Provide the year and engine code, as there is no mention of moving the engine to change the MC on a 2002 D5244T2 in the manual. OK they are £170 ish but this is a critical safety item. Regards Peter

Last edited by Peter D; Jul 15th, 2010 at 12:01.
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:06   #3
zx6rman_uk
S60 D5 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
What is wrong with the master cylinder and are you really going to stick a used, breakers yard MC on your car and trust it. The car may be in the yard as the pedal went to the floor due to a duff M/C. Provide the year and engine code, as there is no mention of moving the engine to change the MC on a 2002 D5244T2 in the manual. OK they are £170 ish but this is a critical safety item. Regards Peter
Hi Peter, well atm the pedal will occassionally have a tendancy to not return all the way back to the top of its travel, a new slave cyl was fitted about a year ago and with 210,000 miles on the clock I'm assuming its the master cyl.
You can 'pull' the pedal back up with your foot though and alls well.

Fair comment on the saftey aspect, the used parts do have a warranty although i doubt that will cover a crumpled front end or worse if anything goes wrong
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:53   #4
Peter D
Peter D

I have just realised that you are referring to the 'clutch' master cylinder not the brake DoooH, the the safety issue.. There is an over center spring that brings the pedal back up. It is mounted between a bracket on the side of the pedal and the pedal box itself. That my be your problem. Again there is no mention od moving the engine to remove the Clutch MC but it is quite specific about how to move it out from it's location. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter D For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 13:03   #5
zx6rman_uk
S60 D5 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
I have just realised that you are referring to the 'clutch' master cylinder not the brake DoooH,
Arh, no problem, yeah if it were the brake one id be fitting a new one.

Ill have to dig out Vadis from my pc and see if its any help.

Id imagine the brakers just want to remove it as fast as possible and lets be honest they are going to be taking the engine out anyway at some point.

The spring is Ok as far as I can see but there is a film of a liquid on the upper part of the pedal. The weekend will afford me a closer look at the problem as im fitting ne drop links and wish bones anyway so have some time to investigate further...

Kind regards