Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Painting Callipers

Views : 3382

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 09:30   #1
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Default Painting Callipers

Hi Guys,

Just got a whole new set of discs and pads fitted buy the dealer to solve my S40 2.0D steering wheel judder when braking query.

Now when I look the car its beautiful apart from the glimpses of rusted calipers peeking throught the gaps in the alloys....

I have decided I am going to Paint them, I have bought the cleaner and Paint (Blue), I think I may have a go at painting them this weekend, Just want to get an idea of what i'm letting myself into.

Are there any common issues when removing calipers?

Will I be ok to take all the callipers off at once and leave the car parked up with the handbrake on for like 24 hours?

I was thinking of starting this project friday mid/late afternoon, maybe have the first coat of paint on buy tea time and the last coat (if required) before bed giving them 10-12 hours to dry and harden.

I've read a few other posts regarding disc changes etc and read recommendations for braided hoses, where could I get some of these?
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:47   #2
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

BMN
There is a recent post on here about removing discs but I think it touches on calipers and a special tool needed for rear calipers as you need to retract the pistons.

Will the car not have any brakes if you have removed all calipers?

I've painted my calipers on an older vehicle whilst they were still on the car.

I have the R design Serapis alloys with big gaps so like you, you can see the rusty clipers/discs. I think this is common to see a layer of rust.

Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 18:57   #3
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
BMN
There is a recent post on here about removing discs but I think it touches on calipers and a special tool needed for rear calipers as you need to retract the pistons.

Will the car not have any brakes if you have removed all callipers?

I have the R design Serapis alloys with big gaps so like you, you can see the rusty clipers/discs. I think this is common to see a layer of rust.
Jonnie, I plan on taking the callipers off and leaving the car on the drive, so you are right, I won't have any brakes... But I don't plan to drive. The question I suppose I'm asking is will the handbrake prevent the car from rolling anywhere?

Also, if I wanted to buy a full set of brakes and discs where's the cheapest place to get them?
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 19:23   #4
Metblackrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmunkynutz View Post
Jonnie, I plan on taking the callipers off and leaving the car on the drive, so you are right, I won't have any brakes... But I don't plan to drive. The question I suppose I'm asking is will the handbrake prevent the car from rolling anywhere?

Also, if I wanted to buy a full set of brakes and discs where's the cheapest place to get them?
If you remove one rear caliper then the handbrake will not work.

Best to do fronts and rears separately and chock the wheels that are still on the driveway.

instead of removing the calipers, remove the discs and pads and mask off well before painting. You wont get paint on bits you can't see but does that matter?.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:04   #5
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

BMN

It dep[ends what you ar elooking for but reading posts on here go for Volvo discs and pads. dont go for EBC etc as apparently they are more trouble than they are worth.

Will ford discs also fit being under the same company?

Try simon or Mike at FRF.
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 14:08   #6
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Cheers Jonnie,

Well I've Painted the callipers over the weekend in a light blue colour and the car looks so much better. I really hate the sight or rusty callipers. I saw some cheap brembo stickers for 99p so stuck them on for a laugh (I imagine they'll come off the first time I use the pressure washer)

I'll post some pics up later on.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 20:02   #7
Jaff87
it goes like ooft!

ford stuff WILL fit, go to the brembo website and look up the parts catalogue for your volvo brakes, you will find on the technical drawings the volvo part number and the volvo finis code. iirc if you have 278mm discs like mine you need disc and pads for a 1.4-1.6 petrol focus, if you have the 300mm discs you need them from the 1.6d up focus, 320 is from the focus ST.
Jaff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaff87 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 21:18   #8
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
BMN

It dep[ends what you ar elooking for but reading posts on here go for Volvo discs and pads. dont go for EBC etc as apparently they are more trouble than they are worth.

Will ford discs also fit being under the same company?

Try simon or Mike at FRF.
Gonna Speak to the Guys at FRF at somepoint im after a few bits and think i'll ring them when i have my "wish list" LOL

p.s. Checkout my before and afters!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Before.jpg (207.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Before.jpg (197.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Front After.jpg (270.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Front After 2.jpg (174.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Rear After 1.jpg (146.3 KB, 44 views)
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 21:57   #9
mikealder
VOC Member

Front left looks a little scored on the disk about 10MM from the outer edge - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 22:13   #10
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Front left looks a little scored on the disk about 10MM from the outer edge - Mike
It got a stone in it, it's all the way round though. Certainly cheaper than vented discs lol

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigmunkynutz For This Useful Post:

Tags
braided hoses, brakes, calipers, pads, paint