Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does R stand for anything anymore?

Views : 11832

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Does R mean anything anymore?
Yes (R design is a good thing) 21 11.86%
No (the proper R is gone and needs to return!) 133 75.14%
Not really fussed 23 12.99%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 20:33   #1
nm1985
Rated "R"

Default Does R stand for anything anymore?

Just thought about this today after what another member mentioned in a post. Ford killed off the last R model in 07 and since then weve had the R design which is available on every model going.

My views are that the R badge has now been tainted by this and I wanted to see what other peoples views are and ill be keen to hear the views on R design owners. I remember the original R model and the volvo Racing team at BTCC, it just seems that Volvo dont compete with the big boys in this market and that is a shame.
nm1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nm1985 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 20:41   #2
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1985 View Post
Just thought about this today after what another member mentioned in a post. Ford killed off the last R model in 07 and since then weve had the R design which is available on every model going.

My views are that the R badge has now been tainted by this and I wanted to see what other peoples views are and ill be keen to hear the views on R design owners. I remember the original R model and the volvo Racing team at BTCC, it just seems that Volvo dont compete with the big boys in this market and that is a shame.
Hi, R stands for Refined. The Polestar C30 is certainly shows that Volvo would have a winner if it went into production! It would be fantastic if Volvo were to start making R performance cars again!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 22:15   #3
Moosejaw
Premier Member

"R"? That's a Honda, innit?
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 23:32   #4
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

It's a copy of the Audi S-Line (even sounds the same)

the difference is ... they actually have S models!

you need the R version so the wannabes have something to aspire to.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 23:37   #5
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
It's a copy of the Audi S-Line (even sounds the same)

the difference is ... they actually have S models!

you need the R version so the wannabes have something to aspire to.
The same could be said about these new pretend T5's.

Its just a badge that keeps banging around for the "Wannabes"..
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 23:52   #6
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

850T5-R is probably the only volvo that genuinely deserves it. Heard it was quite radical in its day.

R-Design?? You can buy a 1.6ltr petrol S40 R-Design. 0-60 in 11 seconds.

R in that case stands for "Really slow"
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 00:31   #7
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
850T5-R is probably the only volvo that genuinely deserves it. Heard it was quite radical in its day.

This is how i see it too. The 850 T5R, R, V70/S60R all are superb performance Volvo's worthy of wearing the 'R' badge that is universally considered the ultimate performance version of various models. (PS - I do think that Volvo held back quite a bit with the V70 and S60 models in R guise). Several years ago Volvo stunned the world with its performance cars, as a kid watching BTCC and not understanding Volvo or knowing anything about it, I just loved it when an 'estate' did the business. Volvo are capable of designing some stunning performance versions that have their place within the market, they need to let their hair down and let some of their staff with HB pencils, CAD skills and bods in white coats run wild.

R-design, I have to admit does transform a rather ordinary Volvo into something eye catching and sporty looking. However, the R-design comes across quite strong insinuating performance when its nothing more that a fancy frilly skirt.

Volvo are not the only ones doing it but the 'R-design' concept sounds like a lot more that what you get from many other manufacturers like Mercedes who offer the same thing classed as 'sport' and BMW with 'M-sport'.

Every time I am taking it easy and look in my rear view mirror only to see myself being tailgated by a sporty looking Merc/Audi/BMW, Seat/Citroen/Clio etc, I do not know if its a diesel, a 1.2 16V with a factory body kit or a black smoke belching diesel or a genuine AMG/R model etc! (Ok I do, I'm an anorak but you all know what I mean).

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Last edited by DSK; Oct 5th, 2010 at 00:48.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 08:19   #8
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
This is how i see it too. The 850 T5R, R, V70/S60R all are superb performance Volvo's worthy of wearing the 'R' badge that is universally considered the ultimate performance version of various models. (PS - I do think that Volvo held back quite a bit with the V70 and S60 models in R guise). Several years ago Volvo stunned the world with its performance cars, as a kid watching BTCC and not understanding Volvo or knowing anything about it, I just loved it when an 'estate' did the business. Volvo are capable of designing some stunning performance versions that have their place within the market, they need to let their hair down and let some of their staff with HB pencils, CAD skills and bods in white coats run wild.

R-design, I have to admit does transform a rather ordinary Volvo into something eye catching and sporty looking. However, the R-design comes across quite strong insinuating performance when its nothing more that a fancy frilly skirt.

Volvo are not the only ones doing it but the 'R-design' concept sounds like a lot more that what you get from many other manufacturers like Mercedes who offer the same thing classed as 'sport' and BMW with 'M-sport'.

Every time I am taking it easy and look in my rear view mirror only to see myself being tailgated by a sporty looking Merc/Audi/BMW, Seat/Citroen/Clio etc, I do not know if its a diesel, a 1.2 16V with a factory body kit or a black smoke belching diesel or a genuine AMG/R model etc! (Ok I do, I'm an anorak but you all know what I mean).

well said
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 08:53   #9
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

It's a Fishing Boat innit?

R Sole
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:16   #10
massivewangers

They've folled Audi/BMW/Merc and gone for the watered down thing, just tarted up.

But at least they all make proper performance variants. I'd like to see them bring in some performance variants again.

Although I liked the 70 series R model, and the S60/V70 R of later years, I still think they really peaked with the 850R really. That's still the one I'd like to own the most!
2013 Megane Renault Sport 265 - For sale
Another Volvo next....?
massivewangers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to massivewangers For This Useful Post: