Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low power at high speed and possible solenoid fault

Views : 7587

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 20:34   #1
milzibkit

Default Low power at high speed and possible solenoid fault

Hello,

I've posted here before and was advised to get my codes read; I took my car to a garage and I've been told a possible solenoid fault was found when the codes were read.

Is this likely to be the cause of the problem I have (and always have had ever since buying the car 2nd hand) with a lack of power and acceleration when faced with even the very slightest of incline at high speed?
If I'm on a motorway/dual carriageway and cruising at 70-80mph, the car will slow down to ~60mph when going up a slight incline. Even dropping down from 6th to 4th will not provide any extra acceleration and I have to poodle along with my foot flat on the pedal until the hill ends. Overtaking in this situation is impossible.

The car will rev to ~4000rpm quite happily up to a speed of about 60, then it just dies on me.

I'm going to be driving to the south of France soon and really want to sort the problem before I go. However, the ever-present issue of not actually having any money for an expensive fix (such as DPF replacement) is still worrying me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
milzibkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 23:52   #2
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

So when you get to 60mph, does it stop reving properly after this? Sounds like "limp home mode". When did you last have the DPF additive tank topped up?

When mine was running low, the car would go into limp home mode every so often. When the tank was empty it constantly went into that state.
No power after 2,500 rpm. Revs feel very restricted and slow etc. Barely possible to pass 60mph.

Tips:

- get the additive tank topped up at a volvo dealer

- the Y shaped hose connector at the front of the engine houses the throttle open/close valve. Unscrew the hose clamps and get a rag in there, clean the valve as best you can to remove any sticky residue.

- There's an aluminum pipe that runs from the top of the engine bay to front. Try and remove this and uncake any crud build up. It looks tricky to remove the front bit of the pipe (you need Torq 25 screwdriver bits) but if you clear a path by unbolting a few minor things, you can get it off.

- fuel filter, if you see lots of bubbles (large ones) flowing through the diesel fuel pipes around the engine, have the fuel filter replaced at the dealer

Last edited by fenton_jd; Jul 11th, 2011 at 23:57.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 00:28   #3
spokoluzik
Trader

got any codes at all???
normally diagnostic gives clear results.
what engine you have.
what is 8th digit of your vin??
where are you in london??
how many miles have done???
sometimes have to ask many questions to find right answer.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spokoluzik For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:40   #4
milzibkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokoluzik View Post
got any codes at all???
normally diagnostic gives clear results.
what engine you have.
what is 8th digit of your vin??
where are you in london??
how many miles have done???
sometimes have to ask many questions to find right answer.
Thanks for the responses so far.

I don't remember if the garage gave me a specific code, I'll check when I get home.
It's the 2.0D engine, with dreaded DPF.
I'm now living in Kent, but still inside the M25.
When I bought the car it was on 60k, now it's on 83k.

I did get it serviced when I had the codes read and the garage's opinion was there was nothing wrong with it except the "possible" solenoid fault. Just hoping I can get away with not having to change the DPF.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:56   #5
Guru
Premier Member

Well, if the codes indicate a solenoid fault, and with given symptoms, it just might me the Turbo Control Valve "TCV" which is an electro-pneumatic switch that costs around £50 to replace.

It's that brown thingy in the blue circle.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 13:41   #6
spokoluzik
Trader

had customer with similar problem and readings from non Volvo computer. at the end we just refilled dpf fluid.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 20:53   #7
milzibkit

Just in case anyone reads this thread after searching similar problems, I've now got everything sorted.

I took the car into Volvo Orpington to have the codes read, having previously had the codes read at a recommended independent garage in Blackheath.

Volvo got 2 fault codes that the indie garage didn't pick up on and it turns out I needed a new EGR valve, which wasn't particularly cheap.

I also had a cracked pipe leading to the turbo control valve (so the garage said), which had been taped up by someone previously (assuming the previous owner, thanks for that mate).

Cost me £500 in total to fix, but the car really flies now. I thought it was ok in 1st-4th gear before, but the turbo is soooo much more powerful now. Yet to take it onto the motorway, but I assume it'll have a lot more kick at high speed too. Can't stop smiling, because it really feels like a new car

Thanks for the advice given on here (Guru, you were pretty much correct!).
The Following User Says Thank You to milzibkit For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:45   #8
milzibkit

Hello, Me again!

On my way to work this morning, accelerating fairly hard up a slip road to join the motorway with the turbo doing its job, the car suddenly lost power and went into limp home mode. Cue a very slow and boring journey until I could get off the motorway.

Once I'd turned the engine off and back on again, it seemed to be fine. Has it been known for cars to go into limp home mode without any actual fault having developed? I got no warning lights or messages on the dash?

I'm supposed to be driving to the south of France next week, so now very concerned that there's another underlying problem, or the original problem wasn't entirely fixed by Volvo. They can't look at my car until Tues next week, which only leaves a couple of days before I go away.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 17:45   #9
rossiboi

Default Limp home mode

Hi milzibkit,
I too have a s40 2.0d sport, 84k on the clock, and it does the same as your car, fine one minute, flat as a fart the next. I was going to go down the EGR valve path, but after reading your post I dont know what to do...........

I have changed the turbo control vavle (brown one near the battery) and that made no difference. Maybe I might get the DPF fluid topped up......

Hey ho, onwards and upwards...................

Last edited by rossiboi; Jul 23rd, 2011 at 17:50.
rossiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 19:22   #10
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Once the DPF additive tank is empty, it'll go into limp home mode pretty much every time you accelerate hard.

A volvo dealer needs to refill it and reset the fault code.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote