Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fire

Views : 1697

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:37   #1
sagale

Exclamation Fire

Hey all,
Two problems, but may actualy be one...
The other day on the autobahn my car speed up on its own and wouldn’t stop revving. Got up to 4,000 RPM.
There was smoke coming from under the hood.

I was able to pull off. The car kept going AFTER I turned it off.
Since there was smoke billowing out from the bonnet I stalled the car (manual gerabox) to avoid any more fuel adding to the fire.
It went from 4000 rpm to stop in a second.
There were FLAMES under the hood coming from the back of the engine bay.

My question:
Has anyone else had a FIRE? (dealer says it was caused by the wire harness)
Could the engine acting up cause the fire?
Thanks for your input!
sagale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 12:01   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Petrol or diesel? Assuming diesel , would check the oil level in the sump and maybe the turbo oil seals. What part of the wiring harness is supposed to have caused this?
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 12:16   #3
Vaho

there is a common cause when the event like this is happening. The engine draws oil from the sump and burns it to run even if the fuelflow is cut off. The oli reaches the combustion chamber via broken piston (rings), failed turbo seals, sump ventilation and so on.
Thank god you had a manual gearbox, in case of automatic the only way to stop the engine is to cut the airflow but if the engine runs in the limiter it is not so easy.
I think the fire is also caused by oil leak on the hot exhaust. The failure of electrical connections and wires alone can not cause the engine to keep running and revving up after the fuel supply is cut off.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 12:28   #4
Bill_56
Premier Member

Was the car a Euro 4, DPF equipped vehicle (circa 2006 onwards)?

It is regarded (by Volvo) as normal for a certain amount of diesel fuel to enter the oil sump on such cars, which causes the oil level to rise, possibly reaching the point where the car engine runs on its own oil.

The problem got worse a few years ago, with the advent of biodiesel blends as standard on forecourts, as the bio - element doesn't evaporate, it just accumulates over time.

There was a software modification to DPF regeneration two years ago which was supposed to reduce the problem, and there was also a change in service instructions to fill with oil to some way BELOW the dipstick MAX mark, to allow room for the build-up of diesel fuel.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 13:23   #5
sagale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Petrol or diesel? Assuming diesel , would check the oil level in the sump and maybe the turbo oil seals. What part of the wiring harness is supposed to have caused this?
D5...build year 2006.

Supposedly the harness part by the fuel rail caught on fire.

The dealer siad the engine is shot. Cylinder 1 has no compression. I said. let me take your car, rev it to 4000 and then stop the engine...of course it will break

Wondering if my insurance will pay for a new engine??? I have full comp.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 15:08   #6
Brendan W
Premier Member

I find it hard to believe that the harness caught fire in just the right way that there was no warning and it resulted in overfuelling. The most common reasons for diesels running away are sump oil being drawn into the cylinders and turbo failure. If you have a DPF you may have had rising sump levels as Bill mentioned and need to check if the car was subject to recall , software change and reduced sump fill levels.Even if you don't have a DPF , using fuel with high vegetable oil content can cause sump levels to rise. Turbo seal failure can also cause runaway. I would check both these issues out carefully before accepting harness fire as a potential primary cause.
I would expect that insurance will cover the cost of fire damage. If wiring fire is finally accepted as the cause there is the question of how it came about and how it produced over fuelling.
November 2007: Spokeswoman Maria Bohlin told the Associated Press (AP) that 38,000 diesel S60, V70 XC70 and XC90 models built in 2006 were being recalled in Europe due to a fault that could cause the engine to catch fire. Bohlin told AP a problem with the fuel injection system may cause diesel to leak onto the engine. Dealer would replace parts free-of-charge in about two hours, she said. The second recall, involving 18,000 V70 and XC70 models, is for an airbag problem. With the air bags "there's a risk they don't [inflate] fast enough," Bohlin was quoted as saying. The affected cars were sold mainly in Sweden, Britain and the US.

Last edited by Brendan W; Mar 12th, 2012 at 15:19.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 07:22   #7
sagale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
I find it hard to believe that the harness caught fire in just the right way that there was no warning and it resulted in overfuelling. The most common reasons for diesels running away are sump oil being drawn into the cylinders and turbo failure. If you have a DPF you may have had rising sump levels as Bill mentioned and need to check if the car was subject to recall , software change and reduced sump fill levels.Even if you don't have a DPF , using fuel with high vegetable oil content can cause sump levels to rise. Turbo seal failure can also cause runaway. I would check both these issues out carefully before accepting harness fire as a potential primary cause.
I would expect that insurance will cover the cost of fire damage. If wiring fire is finally accepted as the cause there is the question of how it came about and how it produced over fuelling.
November 2007: Spokeswoman Maria Bohlin told the Associated Press (AP) that 38,000 diesel S60, V70 XC70 and XC90 models built in 2006 were being recalled in Europe due to a fault that could cause the engine to catch fire. Bohlin told AP a problem with the fuel injection system may cause diesel to leak onto the engine. Dealer would replace parts free-of-charge in about two hours, she said. The second recall, involving 18,000 V70 and XC70 models, is for an airbag problem. With the air bags "there's a risk they don't [inflate] fast enough," Bohlin was quoted as saying. The affected cars were sold mainly in Sweden, Britain and the US.

Supposedly the fuel injection problem was fixed in 2007.
I also have a hard time accepting the wire harness being rubbed raw. It is on top of the engine, how does it rub?
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 07:44   #8
sagale

Default Recall #

Does anyone know of a recall or advisory number for this incident?
Here is what I got from Volvo "Global Customer service"

Dear Mr Gale,

Our collegues at Volvo Car Germany forwarded your email to us for response since your vehicle is made for the Swedish market.

We are really sorry that you have encountered this problem with your Volvo V70 2006, YV1SW714161547597. It is not difficult to understand your concern when something like this happen. Therefore, we have investigated this matter.

We were informed by AUTOHAUS H. GRÖNING E.K. that the fire was not caused by the injector clamps. According to their information the engine wire harness rubbed on itself and therefore caused an open spot on the harness. The wires were connected without any isolation and this caused the fire. Thus, there is no connection between the "recall" referred to in your letter and the engine fire.
We have every confidence in the competence of our dealers to make a correct diagnose and to deal with situations like this, and we fully support the decision they make. Therefore, we regret that we will not offer any compensation on this occasion.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention, and for letting us investigate this ion your behalf.

Yours sincerely,

Mona Sandström

Customer Experience Coordinator

Global Customer Relations
Volvo Car Corporation
Dept. 57460/RBV2
Göteborg
Sweden

Telephone +46-31-3250077
Fax +46-31-595555

msandstr@volvocars.com
www.volvocars.com

Registered Office Göteborg, Sweden
Registration No. 556074-3089
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 08:54   #9
sagale

Exclamation Forgot to add the engine is dead

I forgot to add that the dealer said the engine is Kaput!
I think it is from being revved to 4000 then stalled out to 0 in a second so the darn thing would stop being feed fuel...

"The product poses a risk of injuries as there is the possibility that a rise in oil pressure in the engine could cause engine damage which could lead to a road accident. " from http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/r...pex_search.cfm

Doesnt that make sense...4000>0 RPM= broken piston or crankshaft or something???
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 09:33   #10
Brendan W
Premier Member

I think the next question is, is the harness in the as built condition or has some work been done in that area which left it unsecured. A picture would help a lot. Volvo's response suggests the wires were connected without isolation which allowing for translation could mean either someone left the insulation off/unsecured or the wires did it to themselves.
If the harness is as it left the factory there is still a case for them to answer.

Tags
diesel fire engine