Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG tank position (240 Estate)

Views : 6616

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:02   #1
Old Bean
VOC Member

Default LPG tank position (240 Estate)

I am thinking about having LPG installed in my Volvo 240 Estate (1985 2.3 carburettor) and I would value advice about where to position the LPG tank. Indeed I would appreciate anyone's experiences on this subject.

Many thanks
Doug
Old Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 16:58   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

When I converted my own car I used avertical spare wheel tank in the wheel well (it needed slight cutting) and used a space saver spare on the other side. The range of about 160 miles is less than I would like but although petrol isn't working I've had no problems. The only other alternative if you wish to keep your load area is to do away with the petrol tank and fit a 70 litre lpg tank in its place. You could of course do both and have one tank switched as a very adequate reserve. At present my running costs with a GLT are about £8/100 mile (40-42p per litre).
I have done over 70,000 miles with this car with no problems and many thousands more with my other Volvos over the years. We normally charge £750 with a cylinder tank inside (normally saloons) and an extra £100 for the vertical spare wheel tank. Installation is normally just over a day for us. We also supply diy kits. If you want any further advice feel free to phone me 01407 832290.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 17:32   #3
Old Bean
VOC Member

Default LPG tank position

Many thanks, Mike.

That's very interesting, I didn't think that the spare wheel well had enough space. Please could you tell me the dimensions of the tank you used - I would like to work out how much cutting I would have to do with the vertical tank option.

Also, thank you for your offer of telephone advice; I will certainly contact you in due course.

Doug
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:15   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I use a 53 litre water capacity 630 x 225. It is necessary to trim a small amount forward of the existing cutout up into the area below the window.
It is also necessary to cut a small amount out at floor level to angle the tank in as well as into the area under floor to take the pipework. All this is easily done with a jigsaw.

Mike

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:07   #5
Old Bean
VOC Member

Default Lpg

Mike

Many thanks for the information about the tank. I will look into this. I am currently finishing a refurbishment on my old Volvo Estate which I think will give it another long lease of life. I have repaired all the usual problems on a 240 Estate including corrosion on the floor, wheel arches, sills etc. Wiring degradation in the engine compartment was not too bad but I have still to do the tailgate wiring.

I've owned this vehicle for 13 years and although it is worth nothing in monetary terms it is now solid and presentable. It would have been a great shame if I had let it 'go'.

If anyone is interested I will write more about my experiences on this project.

If installing LPG will help reduce the running costs that would be a great bonus. I will be in touch.

Doug
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 23:32   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Doug, I made a mistake on tank size - the one I mentioned fits without cutting, its a 630 x 250 60 litre I used in mine.

Mike

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 23:54   #7
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Default LPG tanks

I've been tentatively considering this LPG conversion too. I didn't realise that the 60 litre tank only holds 160 miles worth of LPG though?

I imagine that converting a LH2.4 engine is also more grievous than doing the carburettor equivalent; will I be driving around with the Lambda light on all the time?

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:26   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The 60 litre is water capacity - the lpg only fills to 80% ie 48 litre. Its quite possible for the fill to be less trhan this if angle of tank is slightly out. Having no petrol I consider 160 to be about safest max on tank - have had 180+ - again being the high geared GLT it tends to cruise at rather high speeds and I certainly don't drive with economy in mind. (Reckon to use 10-20% more lpg than petrol. If you have the later 240 with lambda it would really need a closed loop system (stepper motor - worked of lambda readings - replaces manual control valve) This will normally keep the lambda light happy.
I have converted many of both 240s and 740s over the years with just about all the engine options and they convert and run extremely well.
22mpg on lpg converts to 45-55mpg (depending on lpg/petrol price) equivalent cost - a cheap runabout in my opinion. For myself covering 37,000+ miles a year a need a comfortable, safe reliable large workhorse on small hatch running costs. My GLT estate does this for me. I converted my first car many years ago and regretted that I had not done it before. I regard the conversion as a one off cost and after that it cheap motoring. It is hard to say you see your money back in so many miles as you tend to end up using the car more as it costs less!

Mike

Last edited by Mike_Brace; Mar 1st, 2006 at 09:34.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:27   #9
Old Bean
VOC Member

Default LPG Tank Dimensions

Mike, Many thanks for the update on the tank dimensions.

Doug
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 21:38   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quick pic of mikes estate tank

And this is the one we fit to 240 saloons

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote