Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELP no indicators, no dashboard, no rem. lock

Views : 1066

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 17:25   #1
R-P
Master Member

Default HELP no indicators, no dashboard, no rem. lock

So, any thoughts?

I haven't looked at fuses yet, as the wife just arrived with the car.

Symptoms: dash lights up as normal, car starts, and all goes dark in the dash.
Needles of speed and revs drop to 0 (engine is running), engine+transmission don't run smooth "as if it doesn't know what gear to select" (but car is driveable, just not as smooth as normal is what I think she means), lights work fine (brake and head/rear lights) but any indicator LED's on shifter, light-rotation-switch etc. are off. And no indicator lights either in the dash or outside!
Remote locking doesn't work.

I'll check the fuses after diner, but the dash lighting up as normal but going dark after starting suggests it is something more complicated.
I hammered away at the clocks as I have read about dash-board failures, but to no avail.

Once I get home (if I dare drive it home for 10 miles), I will install VIDA and try to get some codes.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 08:49   #2
R-P
Master Member

Oh, and no operation of the governor (so 'no turbo', or better, no vanes being controlled on the turbo). Even harder than normal to get it moving... (I have about 30 posts on here complaining the turbo doesn't function below 1800rpm and kick in very suddenly after 1800rpm. Now it doesn't even do that anymore...)

The wife thought it also had issues with the gearbox. I only drove it for a short run and was more worried about getting home in one piece then fiddling with all options, but I think, for one, it may not have gone into lock-up.

Some more info on the DIM and the rest of the dash: the air-cluster still had functioning controls, dials and LED's. The rest of the dash was not even lit up, including the malfunctioning HAZARD button.

My theory is that the DIM does not control the turbo and gearbox, so it cannot simply be a broken DIM, agreed? Sounds more like an ECU problem

Still busy creating enough space on the laptop for VIDA... (30GB??? Why???)

EDIT: it was exceptionally hot for our country yesterday (30C or about 80F(?)) and the wife was running on fumes. She put 70 liters in our 68liter dieseltank...
Can't see this having any bearing on the matter, but thought it wise to mention.

Last edited by R-P; Jul 19th, 2013 at 09:16.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 16:18   #3
R-P
Master Member

Default SOLVED (for now...)

Shorted the battery cables after disconnecting battery, and all seems well.

Airbag warning is still there (in DIM). Did read out codes, but no codes stored. I'm blaming the ELM-OBD-reader and the demo-software, as I should at least have gotten the airbag service warning!
DiCE (Chinese version I presume, borrowed from brother-in-law) has a red firmware-LED, so not functioning yet either.

Well, the car runs with all LED's operational, the DIM works, the remote locks work again and I am assuming the rest is fine too.

Not satisfied as no reason for all this was found, but it'll have to do for now.

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 16:20   #4
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

its that Canbus malarky playing up,
hope you are well RP not seen you on for awhile.
mike
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 20:52   #5
R-P
Master Member

The Volvo didn't play up that much, so no need to visit

What can be done about the canbus problems? Is that caused by the DIM?

I read out the codes...

BCM-0094, BCM-0108, BCM-E003, BCM-0115 mainly communication issues
BCM-0150 brakelightswitch signal
ECM-9210 CC signal

CEM-1A24, CEM-1A25 relay Ext X2 signal too high and too low respectively
CEM-1A21, CEM-1A23 X-relay errors (?)
CEM-1D07 internal fault
ECM-E003 configuration fault
CEM-6A03/CEM6A04 (doorlocks)

DEM-E003, DIM-E003, SAS-E003, SRS-E003 "configuration fault"

CCM-0004, CCM-0021, CCM-001F (AC radiators are shot, so probably related to that)