Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 185 EGR cleanup? How?

Views : 4275

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2015, 16:38   #1
Carbon

Question XC90 185 EGR cleanup? How?

I’ve everywhere and seen plenty of articles showing and discussing strip downs and cleaning of the egr on all volvos (except a 185bhp XC90). However popped the lid on my 2007 XC90 and its looks less than straightforward and I cannot find a guide on how to do.

I’ve popped the large pipe going to the rocker to have a look and there is a 20+% gunk deposit in there and the egr. I suspect it would make a difference if cleaned. However beyond this looks more complex and with gaskets, HP pipes involved.

Should I proceed?

Anyone any advice?

Cheers Mark
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 20:18   #2
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

mark
ive recently had my egr valve replaced, the garage quoted 4 hours for the replacement, so I assume its not a simple job, however Ive got the original egr valve and the build up of crud is from the poppet valve half way in the valve to the outlet into the plastic pipe youve removed, so as I see it if you just have to remove the build up youve seen, and replace the plastic pipe, Ive also searched for info on this job and found nothing
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 22:12   #3
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago the build up was unreal the garage were surprised it was still running if you can clean it do it the difference is massive it pulls better smoother and better mpg I have done 28 mpg this week all town driving which I am pleased with it is a 56 plate d5 hope you can clean it cheaper than replacing it
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 21:45   #4
Carbon

Thanks guys.

I deceided to have a go and dived in. Manually scraped, and degreased the egr in situ by removing the pipes both ends. Hard work, and its wrecked my hands (sharp edges and couldn’t find my gloves). Will update when I screw back together.

Cheers M
Old May 25th, 2015, 22:08   #5
Carbon

Also there doesn’t seem to be a blanking option for a Euro-4 engine.

Anyone know different?

M
Old May 25th, 2015, 23:51   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Also there doesn’t seem to be a blanking option for a Euro-4 engine.
There is but it just has a hole drilled in the centre...... 14mm I think.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:56   #7
Carbon

Oh that’s interesting.

Where would you fit it on a XC90 D5, as its a rubber hoses either end of the EGR?

I presume the hole is to avoid error codes and keep emissions within tolerance?

M
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:38   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Oh that’s interesting.

Where would you fit it on a XC90 D5, as its a rubber hoses either end of the EGR?

I presume the hole is to avoid error codes and keep emissions within tolerance?

M
This is type of part I mean and where it goes on the Euro3 163 but similar principles apply on the Euro 4.

Old May 27th, 2015, 18:37   #9
Carbon

Well I’ve had a service, a new timing belt and pulleys, and cleaned out the egr in situ. Dirty and hard graft, but worth it. XC90 runs really smooth and quiet and has added about 3-4 mpg as well as smoother application of power.

just waiting for the MAF cleaner to arrive (I’ve read don’t use, detergent, wd40, brake cleaner, electric contact spray etc as all either leave films or damage the sensor) and so will report back any further improvements.

Not all good news though yesterday filled up with petrol rather than diesel and drove a mile. Had all fuel removed and engine management system reset (after it went into limp mode) and I seem to have got away with no additional problems. No smoke out the back, and performance still as described as above, it seems speed of removal is the answer. However £200 lighter and very cross with myself.

Now to also sort out:

Noise from drive (driveshafts? or lower engine mounts etc.) and dull, yellowing headlights.

Tha’ts all for now

M
Old May 28th, 2015, 16:45   #10
sreviz
Master Member

Default Egr

Hi Mark,
I have 2005 D5 163 bhp xc90.
I want to clean the EGR aswell. But I couldnt able to go further beyond the place where the blanking plates will fit in.
Do I have to remove the air box completely and where the bolts deep inside please.
Please guide me.
Thank you.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr, euro 4 d5, xc90