Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Overfilled oil - involve Volvo assist?

Views : 11564

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2015, 15:33   #1
Sofar

Default Overfilled oil - involve Volvo assist?

Last week I had the car in at a dealer for a service (they were rubbish and hadn't even started the service by the time I was meant to be picking it up, but that's another story).

Then yesterday, a warning popped up "Engine system - service required". Googling around, people mentioned oil level being overfilled. So I've checked the oil level on the dash system and sure enough "Oil overfilled" message. So the dealer has messed up again.

One caveat is I haven't yet checked it on a level surface, but it was pointing uphill and I read if anything this should cause a lower reading than normal!?

So my question is, do I risk driving it back to inept dealer to check (a 30-40min motorway drive). Or do I call out Volvo Assist and see if they can check it over and siphon out some oil if necessary?

I'm also concerned some damage may have already been caused to the engine.
Sofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 15:41   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Check the level how you're supposed to first.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 15:49   #3
Sofar

I've driven about 70miles since having the service, so I guess I'll just risk one more drive to the dealer and take it easy. It also seems a "Oil service required" message is shown if the oil level is too high, so maybe it's something else or not dangerously overfilled.
Sofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 18:54   #4
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi check the oil level with the dipstick. If is doesn't have the normal dipstick there will be a small technicians dipstick at the bottom of the crankcase on the right hand side or drivers side. The oil level should be half way between high and low . If its at the high mark it will be OK to drive it back to the dealer. The oil level has been lowered so that a check can be made by a level sensor to check that the level is not rising due to fuel contamination while the DPF is regenerating. If you can draw out about 1/2 Ltr through the dipstick hole the sensor will reset and message will switch off after a few miles of driving..

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 20:57   #5
iain cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
Hi check the oil level with the dipstick. If is doesn't have the normal dipstick there will be a small technicians dipstick at the bottom of the crankcase on the right hand side or drivers side. The oil level should be half way between high and low . If its at the high mark it will be OK to drive it back to the dealer. The oil level has been lowered so that a check can be made by a level sensor to check that the level is not rising due to fuel contamination while the DPF is regenerating. If you can draw out about 1/2 Ltr through the dipstick hole the sensor will reset and message will switch off after a few miles of driving..
depending on model?

Iain

sorry I see it's a V70

Last edited by iain cooper; Nov 15th, 2015 at 20:59.
iain cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 22:09   #6
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

given its been maiin dealer serviced and you have concerns, I would ask volvo assist to come out. I wouldnt be driving the car with low oil. When VA sort it for you Id be letting volvo UK know your views
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 22:53   #7
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
given its been maiin dealer serviced and you have concerns, I would ask volvo assist to come out. I wouldnt be driving the car with low oil. When VA sort it for you Id be letting volvo UK know your views
Actually it's not "low oil", see what the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofar View Post
Last week I had the car in at a dealer for a service (they were rubbish and hadn't even started the service by the time I was meant to be picking it up, but that's another story).

Then yesterday, a warning popped up "Engine system - service required". Googling around, people mentioned oil level being overfilled. So I've checked the oil level on the dash system and sure enough "Oil overfilled" message. So the dealer has messed up again.

One caveat is I haven't yet checked it on a level surface, but it was pointing uphill and I read if anything this should cause a lower reading than normal!?

So my question is, do I risk driving it back to inept dealer to check (a 30-40min motorway drive). Or do I call out Volvo Assist and see if they can check it over and siphon out some oil if necessary?

I'm also concerned some damage may have already been caused to the engine.
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 19:23   #8
RichT4
Sunny Days!

Either way you look at it, the car has been recently serviced by a dealer, therefore whatever happens they will have to repair the vehicle.
If it has been overfilled, the main oil seal is usually the first to go, in which case it will **** all over the floor.
Check level, if it's overfilled; drop some oil and monitor for leaks.
RichT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 19:43   #9
rcpilot

The message "Engine system service required" could point to the level of oil in the sump being high but how did that happen, could be through the service people putting too much oil in it, however if the service people were a genuine volvo dealer they use a messured container to fill up.
I had that message appear when i was driving back from Scotland, i called out a breakdown service but they could not find any fault codes so they wiped the message. It appeared again a few miles down the road so I went to their garage, an extensive check taking over an hour but still no cause they again wiped the message.
It did not appear again till some weeks after so as I was near to the main dealer in it went, the service guy said there was too much oil in it, funny i thought as it had not had a service for several months and i had definately not put any oil in it, so they drained some oil wiped the message and everything was ok.
I will ask one question is your vehicle a diesel by any chance, mine is and I found out that what had caused the message and the service guy to say it had too much oil in it was in fact the DPF, apparently if it does not get the chance to burn off the soot it uses a fluid which is stored in another tank somewhere in the car and it sometimes forces this fluid back into the sump thus causing the increase in oil level.
Answer is if the exhaust does not get hot enough on small journies to take it down the motoway with revs over 2000 for about 20 mins it will then burn off the soot (this message can appear without the DPF full message coming on)
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 20:10   #10
Marc01

My car was overfilled by Volvo assist by 1.5 litres, enough to make it come out of the filler cap and up the windscreen!

To be fair drives fine, I have been given a written assurance by Volvo UK that my warranty on the engine will exceed 5 years in light of what happened.

To be fair it drives fine.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post: