Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Next Generation XC60/S60/V60 to launch this year, but when?

Views : 7735

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2017, 19:10   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Default Next Generation XC60/S60/V60 to launch this year, but when?

I see there are spy shots of the next generation XC60 on the internet and I have also seen suggestions that the replacement XC60 will be shown next month at the Geneva motor show...has anyone else heard/know of when the replacements for the 60 series and when they will be available in the UK.

I must say the new XC60 spy shots make it look (from the interior at least) identical to the new "90" series vehicles, which isn't a bad thing, my concern is that its going to be at the same price point as the XC90...
anotherv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 19:17   #2
wassap

Theres no info at all yet. It will be interesting if there is anything at the geneva motor show. Obviously the discounts wont be as good on the new model as they are today, i would hazard a guess that they will start taking orders later this year and supply will begin next year.
wassap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wassap For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 20:51   #3
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

I've read an article from someone high up in the Volvo chain stating that the 40/60/90 series will be aimed at different buyers and will not just be 'baby' versions of the flagship line...clearly the design language, features and technology will be similar but the 60's shouldn't just be a smaller version of the 90's. 90's will remain as the luxury top spec...

I'll try and find where I read it.

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 20:53   #4
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Design chief Thomas Ingenlath tells me all these cars won’t look entirely similar to one another. “The 90 cluster will look different from the 60 cluster and the 40 cluster. The XC90 isn’t a template to scale down to the XC60 and XC40. People are fed up with indistinguishable cars in a*range.”

And

Smiling, he described premium brands traditionally approach the problem of fashioning a family of cars in different sizes: make the middle one identical to the biggest, but scaled down. Then—and no, this is not very clever—shrink the smallest one even further. With a whip of his hand, off went one of the little sheets to reveal three pairs of identical, polished black dress shoes. Except for their decreasing sizes and the dropping numbers above each pair—”90,” ”60,” and ”40.”Smiling, he described premium brands traditionally approach the problem of fashioning a family of cars in different sizes: make the middle one identical to the biggest, but scaled down. Then—and no, this is not very clever—shrink the smallest one even further. With a whip of his hand, off went one of the little sheets to reveal three pairs of identical, polished black dress shoes. Except for their decreasing sizes and the dropping numbers above each pair—”90,” ”60,” and ”40.” This, Ingenlath explained, is not how Volvo is approaching its two upcoming model ranges, the still-secret XC60 and the two 40-series concepts we were about to see. As an analogy guy, I was getting excited.

Full article, and explanation of the shoes...!!!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/volvo...ing-next-xc40/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo-40-60-90-shoes-1.jpg (13.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by GusGecko; Feb 18th, 2017 at 20:59.
GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GusGecko For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 21:06   #5
andymcp
Premier Member

The only comments I've seen have been that Volvo has pulled out of all but 4 motor shows this year, and therefore Geneva was assumed to be the one that will see the launch of the new 60 range in the XC60. From the spy shots it appears as though the XC60 will have a sloping profile in roofline and some other areas, rather than the boxy upright 90 shape.

Bumped into the sales guy at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and he was expecting a Geneva launch. Had no idea when the V and S variants would follow.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 22:36   #6
civilservant

Base on Volvo's previous approach to their small, medium and large vehicles, I can believe that they have no intention of marrying up the exterior design across the ranges to replicate the current 90 range. However, I imagine the interior will pretty much be standard across the ranges, just as they have been in recent history.

From my last 3 Volvo's I have felt as if I was sat in the same car with the only difference being the size and shape of the exterior.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to civilservant For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 20:27   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

That is my experience too. Unfortunately it is that lack of change that had caused me to look elsewhere for my next car. Shame but I presume it gives them big cost savings.
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 21:49   #8
wassap

To be fair, all marques have a family ethos, one of the reasons i went for the XC60 over a Q5 was that it was the same as my A4 Avant, the reason i didnt go for a x3 that it was dull like the 3 series inside, same for the tiguan, dull compared to the Volvo interiors. All the XC60 needs is a uptodate infotainment system, the rest of the interior is excellent. And thats coming from a Audi and Merc fan!
wassap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wassap For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 09:23   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Wassap - I would agree on the whole although I am really bored of the floating console so an update on that wouldn't go amiss.

Going back umpteen years I remember each car model being slightly flasher so that if you got a top of the range model it looked noticeably different to a smaller car from the same mfr. I know that branding and savings have to be made but the uniformity across all sizes of cars across all brands is disappointing. Discovering the V40 courtesy car looks virtually the same internally as my XC60 does not make me feel special about my XC60. The clock will not turn back though.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 17:34   #10
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Volvo UK rep told me it looks like a smaller version of the XC90, but prettier. So conflicting information there.

Roy