Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 Volvo V70 TDI - 12 Months MOT, Remap and Coilovers

Views : 1637

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:33   #1
JasonE

Default 1998 Volvo V70 TDI - 12 Months MOT, Remap and Coilovers

Welcome to the advert for my 1998 Volvo V70 2.5 TDI. This car has been a great workhorse for me over the past few months, but I'm selling it for something smaller and more economical.

The car has the old VAG 2.5TDI unit used by VW/Audi for years in many cars and vans, tough as old boots and will go on forever. Indeed when Trump gets happy with his trigger finger, I believe the only things left in the post apocalyptic wasteland will be 1998 Volvo V70 TDI's and cockroaches. Its unrefined, clattery and smokey. But it pulls very well thanks to a remapped ECU being in there taking it from 140bhp to 170bhp.

As you can see the car comes in a rather fetching shade of blue, with all the scuffs and scratches you'd expect on a car of this vintage. I see them as battle scars, and I'm pretty sure most women dig them.

Since we're on about appearance, the car is lowered on coilovers and has a set of T5 alloy wheels on. The ride is a bit "Scene" (See bouncy, and crashy) but not at all unbearable. And who cares when you look this good?

Anyway, the headlines for those who can't be bothered to read:

- 181,000ish miles which obviously will increase due to daily use.
- 12 months MOT
- Some service history and receipts
- Coilovers and T5 Wheels
- Remapped ECU
- Silky smooth Automatic gearbox
- Good tyres and brakes all round
- V5 etc all present.

Asking £950 everywhere else, will offer it £900 for club member as I would like it to go to an enthusiast.

Offers will be entertained, but nothing too daft. I can do viewings most evenings, either Near Bicester (Oxfordshire) or Milton Keynes.

Pictures here: https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...i-auto/7256688
JasonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 13:03   #2
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Proper good remap too
Old May 23rd, 2017, 15:45   #3
JasonE

Price drop!

£795 to Volvo Forums members if sold this week. Deposit left on a new car so if it's not gone this week it may have to be stripped
Old May 23rd, 2017, 20:54   #4
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Jason came over with his car this evening and Ive got to say it is very tidy and the engine sounds sweet as a nut. I've checked the pump timing and it's spot on. If i had the spare cash I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 21:45   #5
JasonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
Jason came over with his car this evening and Ive got to say it is very tidy and the engine sounds sweet as a nut. I've checked the pump timing and it's spot on. If i had the spare cash I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car.
Thanks again Martin! It'll make a great car for someone, love the way it pulls after you worked your magic!
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonE For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2017, 20:04   #6
HiFlyer437

I'm trying to think of a reason not to buy this, other than I love the silky-smooth petrol engine in my 2.4 (170); trouble is, it's a bit thirsty if I ever use it to run up to Heathrow from Devon. And mine is much scruffier than yours, especially inside. As an aside, is that some sort of Bluetooth jobby on the centre console?
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 22:35   #7
JasonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer437 View Post
I'm trying to think of a reason not to buy this, other than I love the silky-smooth petrol engine in my 2.4 (170); trouble is, it's a bit thirsty if I ever use it to run up to Heathrow from Devon. And mine is much scruffier than yours, especially inside. As an aside, is that some sort of Bluetooth jobby on the centre console?
Yes it is! The car comes with the standard Volvo HU and a Nokia Bluetooth kit. Never used it myself but the previous owner showed me it working all good.

This'll do 40-50mpg on a run. My route to work isn't very MPG friendly, hence downgrading to something a bit smaller/more economical.
Old May 24th, 2017, 23:23   #8
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer437 View Post
Please buy it, you may save a marriage! As if you don't I'm going to have to and I'm sure it won't go down too well lol
Old May 25th, 2017, 21:58   #9
JasonE

This thread could do with some better pictures. Had an hour to quickly hose it down and get these before the sun went down!

Volvo by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Old May 28th, 2017, 21:52   #10
JasonE

UPDATE 28/05/17

Since putting the car up for sale, I've been made aware of a small leak coming from under the car. Upon investigating this evening, it appears the gearbox is weeping its fluid very slowly. Due to the car being surplus to requirements (The replacement is now arrived and in use) I've dropped the price another £100 in the interests of selling soon, and I will listen to offers.