Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl throttle linkage question

Views : 1317

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2017, 20:41   #1
Semnoz

Default Swirl throttle linkage question

Sorry to raise such an age-old topic, but like many other D5s, my linkage arm has popped off and just hangs off the swirl arm. I have no idea how long it's been like this.

I'm not asking how to fix it, as there are loads of guides out there.

I just want to know what on earth the swirl arm assembly is for and what immediate effect it has on the engine if the linkage isn't connected (I'm not asking about the long term risks of the swirl flaps eventually breaking inside).
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 21:00   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
Sorry to raise such an age-old topic, but like many other D5s, my linkage arm has popped off and just hangs off the swirl arm. I have no idea how long it's been like this.

I'm not asking how to fix it, as there are loads of guides out there.

I just want to know what on earth the swirl arm assembly is for and what immediate effect it has on the engine if the linkage isn't connected (I'm not asking about the long term risks of the swirl flaps eventually breaking inside).
the swirl flaps block off one of the inlet ports on each cylinder to increase the speed of the air and make it swirl which gives more torque for pulling away and getting going at low rpm ..
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 22:26   #3
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the swirl flaps block off one of the inlet ports on each cylinder to increase the speed of the air and make it swirl which gives more torque for pulling away and getting going at low rpm ..
Many thanks for explaining that. Well, I have plenty of torque so that probably suggests they're working fine.

I'm assuming the black plastic arm with ball-joints at either end is just to prevent the swirl-arm motor from reaching it's own position limits ?

As I can never rest knowing that something doesn't look right, I decided to do a quick fix to stop this guide-arm from popping off the ball-joint. Machined the end to a thinner section to allow a small split-pin to be inserted through the ball (after drilling a hole through it):

I have no idea if it'll last, but it can't be worse than when it was hanging loose.
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 22:35   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Many thanks for explaining that. Well, I have plenty of torque so that probably suggests they're working fine.

I'm assuming the black plastic arm with ball-joints at either end is just to prevent the swirl-arm motor from reaching it's own position limits ?

As I can never rest knowing that something doesn't look right, I decided to do a quick fix to stop this guide-arm from popping off the ball-joint. Machined the end to a thinner section to allow a small split-pin to be inserted through the ball (after drilling a hole through it):

I have no idea if it'll last, but it can't be worse than when it was hanging loose.
if it is disconnected and shut you will have plenty of torque at low rpm but it will restrict power at higher rpm and put the engine into reduced performance ( Limp) mode .
If the flaps fail open you will lack torque at low rpm but it usually does not put a message up , The flaps are free to flap in the air flow so could change from one position to the other .
Your repair is very similar to the basic volvo repair , they sell a pin and spring clip for £4
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 23:12   #5
Joe Harding
Premier Member

I'm after the linkage that goes on the swirl flap axle. Anyone got one to sell?
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 19:02   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
I'm after the linkage that goes on the swirl flap axle. Anyone got one to sell?
you mean the short link rod that goes on the motor and swirl arm ball joints? If so , about £4 from a dealer .
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 19:52   #7
Semnoz

Quote:
you mean the short link rod that goes on the motor and swirl arm ball joints? If so , about £4 from a dealer .
Clan - before I attached the plastic link rod to the ball joint using a split-pin, I noticed the whole plate it was free to move back and forth on its pivot. There was no resistance, I could simply rock it forwards or backwards with no effort at all, which suggests it's not attached to anything other than the pivot. This isn't correct, surely ?
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 20:12   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Clan - before I attached the plastic link rod to the ball joint using a split-pin, I noticed the whole plate it was free to move back and forth on its pivot. There was no resistance, I could simply rock it forwards or backwards with no effort at all, which suggests it's not attached to anything other than the pivot. This isn't correct, surely ?
It should turn the shaft inside along the head with 5 throttle flaps on , the bearings are plastic so could be a bit sloppy now or the shaft has snapped ?
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 20:47   #9
Semnoz

Quote:
It should turn the shaft inside along the head with 5 throttle flaps on , the bearings are plastic so could be a bit sloppy now or the shaft has snapped ?
If the throttle flaps are very light, then I guess it might be OK. It doesn't look like a quick job to dismantle and have a look though....
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 23:24   #10
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
No, the bit that attaches to the end of the swirl flap axle.