Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dpf reset

Views : 3288

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2018, 22:44   #1
Jason199

Default Dpf reset

Hi. This is my first time posting so sorry if its in the wrong place or has been asked before.
Ive used the forums alot for research but never to ask so here goes...

Ive recently had the dpf in my c30 1.6d replaced by a local mechanic and its caused nothing but issues since. Its in limp mode currently and its been mentioned by a friend that the problems could be caused because, and i quote “the car might not of been told it has a new dpf”. My question is simply this, after the dpf has been changed does the car have to be reset or programmed to tell it the new dpf is there? I know the guy that changed the dpf to start with for me has also in the past topped up the additive and he told me his computer couldnt reset the ecu to say the additive was there so i had it reset elsewhere. so it makes me wonder has he missed this step. To be fair to him hes a friend of a friend and has tried to help me out by doing the work. Hes a HGV mechanic by trade so doesnt always have correct equipment for cars or car diagnostics
Thanks in advance. And if it seems like i have no idea what im on about, its because i literally have no idea what im on about.
Jason199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 09:47   #2
Petey80
Premier Member

Within Vida when I use it on my V50 1.6D, there is an option to tell the system that the additive tank has been topped up [I don't have one though] and that the DPF has been changed.

You'll need to see someone who has Vida/Dice or take it to a dealership to see if they'll do it.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:01   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
The DPF is monitored by a pressure sensor. This triggers regens and warnings.
I wonder if by purely changing the DPF, the pressure readings are lower so goes back within tolerance without a reset?

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:22   #4
Jason199

So it does need to be told by VIDA that the dpf is new?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 17:22   #5
Jason199

So i went to the garage today. They said the car is showing the following faults:

1320- MAF meter faulty signal
2A40- Particle trap overload
2A10- Temp sensor particle trap too high (apparently always 99.9%)
1517- Turbo pressure too high

They also said that it was running rough and they thought it had a misfire.

Am i correct ti think the MAF issue would cause this? I checked the sensor over and the air filter and the sensor were covered in a think film of oil!! Would this make that code appear??

Im guessing the temp sensor for the dpf is faulty? So would a new one and a regen solve the rest??

The garage reckon the ‘misfire’ needs solving first. And i think the oil on the sensor sounds a bit odd. Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!!
Jason
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason199 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 17:27   #6
Petey80
Premier Member

Glad you're moving forward with it.

My 1.6 has oil on the MAF and in the pipe from turbo to airbox. Supposedly this is normal.

Might be worth cleaning the area out?

If the DPF has been replaced, this could have affected the pressure pipes coming off it.

I would have Vida hooked up, tell the car the DPF has been changed, reset the fault codes and see what comes back.

Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 17:57   #7
Jason199

The way the mechanic was talking it was as if the car was dead!

I dont know enough to be able to disagree with him, but i felt i knew enough not to fully agree. I asked him to tell the car about the dpf but he was more concerned with the misfire. Saying he would need to do compression tests and all sorts. I chose not to go ahead (stupid move maybe).
I need to find another garage now that will just do exactly as im asking! And hopefully. Fingers crossed. Its as simple as a few clicks!

Thanks for your fast reply petey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason199 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 18:15   #8
Petey80
Premier Member

I've read elsewhere that a bad MAF can cause a misfire so if yours is caked in oil and crud might be worth cleaning it if that's possible?

Not sure if they can be cleaned though?

You can also do a visual inspection of the pressure pipes, make sure they're tight etc.

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 18:23   #9
Petey80
Premier Member

Here's a picture of the pressure pipes

80847service_3 by Pete, on Flickr

The new shiny ones right in the middles.

They run to the front of the engine bay into the DPF and then up to the battery.

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 18:26   #10
Jason199

Ill get some electrical spray tomorrow and see if that will clean it. Problem is without a computer to read it ill never know if its gone.

I did have a look at the pipes to the pressure sensor and they look oo to me. Nothing obvious anyway. If i got a new temp sensor for the dpf and then got someone to do a regen do you think thatd clear the problems?