Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VEA engine 'intake valve stem check' during service?

Views : 3099

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 11:14   #1
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Default VEA engine 'intake valve stem check' during service?

I've touched upon this issue in an earlier thread regarding an upcoming service, but now believe that since having that service this issue deserves its own thread. This was the earlier thread... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301425

I'm currently in dispute with a local Volvo dealership who performed a recent service on my car, as I subsequently discovered that the line item 'valve stem intake, all check' listed as an included service activity on the Volvo website (copied below) was NOT undertaken. The dealership explained to me that the job sheets from Volvo did not include this activity and so suggested that I contacted Volvo UK with my complaint. Unfortunately Volvo UK Customer Care really couldn't have been less caring, dismissing this as an error that should not have been on their website and - rather than discuss the matter properly - they merely fobbed me off with the offer of a £100 voucher for use at a Volvo dealership, which I rejected. They then stated that this was their final offer and told me that I should take any further complaint to the Motor Ombudsman. I am currently on the verge of doing this, although the dealership is still trying to come up with a compromise.

Bearing in mind that this is related to a service (rather than any recall action), has anyone actually had the activity 'valve stem intake, all check' performed on their car (and how was it done)? The words 'Valve stem intake, all check' didn't just randomly form themselves by mistake on the Volvo UK website, so while Volvo UK Customer Care have dismissed it as an 'error' clearly that activity is a real thing with an actual meaning!

It's well-known that this VEA diesel engine has a lot of issues with soot build-up in the EGR system and intake, to the extent that the intake valves may fail to correctly seat, as widely discussed in several forum threads. My car is on its 2nd replacement EGR cooler and has also had a replacement EGR valve (for which I only received 50% Volvo goodwill). This is why I was so relieved to see that a valve stem check was now a part of the service!

This was copied from the Volvo UK website (and originally put into that other thread) and describes the service actions for service number 6...I have highlighted in bold the disputed line item 'Valve stem intake, all check (this line item was also shown in the breakdown for service number 5). Since complaining to Volvo UK it appears that they have edited their website and this breakdown of included service activities is no longer available...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
Included in this service

Examples of service actions:
Brake pads, brake discs - check
SRI - set the service reminder indicator (SRI) to zero
Engine, transmission - check for leaks
Air cleaner passenger compartment replace
Fuel filter replacement
Air cleaner engine replace

Additional actions completed at this service
Automatic transmission control - check the park / neutral position (PNP) switch
Engine coolant - check and adjust the antifreeze/corrosion protection strength
Engine oil, oil filter - change oil and oil filter
External lighting - check the function
Fluid levels - engine compartment - check and adjust the brake Fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid, coolant level
Fuel filter - drain off the condensation
Horn - check operation
Parking brake - check and adjust
Roof system - check and lubricate
Seat belts - check the function and for signs of wear
Valve stem intake, all check
Washers and wipers for windshields and headlamps - check the function and for signs of wear
Wheels and tyres: check for damage, thread depth of tyres in mm FL_____, FR_____, RL_____, RR_____
Headlamp/fog lamp - check and align headlamps
Reset tyre pressure monitor system
Tyres excl. spare wheel: check and adjust the air pressure FL_____,FR_____,RL_____,RR_____
AWD: Final drive, bevel gear - check for leaks
AWD: Propeller shaft, pilot bearing, universal joint - check for signs of wear
Brake lines, fuel lines, fuel filter - check for leakage and damage
Drive shafts - check for wear - check rubber bellows for condition / damage
Front suspension, steering system - check for wear and damage
Rear wheel suspension - check for wear and damage
Vehicle with camera for collision warning - clean the inside of the windscreen in front of the camera lens

Last edited by Zebster; Feb 13th, 2020 at 11:16.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 11:30   #2
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Just checked my service 6 sheet and all others and none have the Valve Stem Check mentioned.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 11:34   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
Just checked my service 6 sheet and all others and none have the Valve Stem Check mentioned.
That's right, there's a disconnect between the service sheets (provided to dealerships by Volvo UK) and the service items listed on the Volvo UK website.

So this probably affects everyone who's had a service, at least a 5th or 6th service.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:17   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I've touched upon this issue in an earlier thread regarding an upcoming service, but now believe that since having that service this issue deserves its own thread. This was the earlier thread... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301425

I'm currently in dispute with a local Volvo dealership who performed a recent service on my car, as I subsequently discovered that the line item 'valve stem intake, all check' listed as an included service activity on the Volvo website (copied below) was NOT undertaken. The dealership explained to me that the job sheets from Volvo did not include this activity and so suggested that I contacted Volvo UK with my complaint. Unfortunately Volvo UK Customer Care really couldn't have been less caring, dismissing this as an error that should not have been on their website and - rather than discuss the matter properly - they merely fobbed me off with the offer of a £100 voucher for use at a Volvo dealership, which I rejected. They then stated that this was their final offer and told me that I should take any further complaint to the Motor Ombudsman. I am currently on the verge of doing this, although the dealership is still trying to come up with a compromise.

Bearing in mind that this is related to a service (rather than any recall action), has anyone actually had the activity 'valve stem intake, all check' performed on their car (and how was it done)? The words 'Valve stem intake, all check' didn't just randomly form themselves by mistake on the Volvo UK website, so while Volvo UK Customer Care have dismissed it as an 'error' clearly that activity is a real thing with an actual meaning!

It's well-known that this VEA diesel engine has a lot of issues with soot build-up in the EGR system and intake, to the extent that the intake valves may fail to correctly seat, as widely discussed in several forum threads. My car is on its 2nd replacement EGR cooler and has also had a replacement EGR valve (for which I only received 50% Volvo goodwill). This is why I was so relieved to see that a valve stem check was now a part of the service!

This was copied from the Volvo UK website (and originally put into that other thread) and describes the service actions for service number 6...I have highlighted in bold the disputed line item 'Valve stem intake, all check (this line item was also shown in the breakdown for service number 5). Since complaining to Volvo UK it appears that they have edited their website and this breakdown of included service activities is no longer available...
are you sure you were not on an american volvo web site? Their cars are very different in many ways ...
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:24   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
are you sure you were not on an american volvo web site? Their cars are very different in many ways ...
No, definitely UK.

Volvo UK Customer Care do acknowledge the error on their website that led to this situation. That website has since been edited so that access to the breakdown of service items is no longer available. Fortunately I have a screen shot taken before this editing.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 13:03   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
No, definitely UK.

Volvo UK Customer Care do acknowledge the error on their website that led to this situation. That website has since been edited so that access to the breakdown of service items is no longer available. Fortunately I have a screen shot taken before this editing.
The only place correct information can be found is the current VIDA which is updated on a daily basis . It is the bible where all these confusing volvo websites should be getting their information from .. There was a similar problem when the S40/V50 was launched , the 1.6 petrol was supposed to have it's valve clearance checked around 100,000 miles ( a major job ) but before any of the cars got that far it was deleted .
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 14:42   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
The only place correct information can be found is the current VIDA which is updated on a daily basis . It is the bible where all these confusing volvo websites should be getting their information from .. There was a similar problem when the S40/V50 was launched , the 1.6 petrol was supposed to have it's valve clearance checked around 100,000 miles ( a major job ) but before any of the cars got that far it was deleted .
Most 'regular' owners wouldn't have VIDA. And, even if they did, it would be some 'knock-off' pirate version that would lack the ability to update itself as service requirements were altered.

I don't have VIDA. My only source of information is the Volvo UK website... if this misleads owners then Volvo UK should take responsibility for this.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 14:55   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Most 'regular' owners wouldn't have VIDA. And, even if they did, it would be some 'knock-off' pirate version that would lack the ability to update itself as service requirements were altered.

I don't have VIDA. My only source of information is the Volvo UK website... if this misleads owners then Volvo UK should take responsibility for this.
Exactly but the dealer did read it and tell you the true situation . Web maintenance is so poor these days .
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 16:24   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Exactly but the dealer did read it and tell you the true situation . Web maintenance is so poor these days .
But the dealer and I only discussed it a few days AFTER the service had been performed and paid for, when I suspected that the valve check had not been performed. Unfortunately - as we debated in the linked thread in my opening post - I had previously decided to pay the Volvo premium service rates on the basis that this valve check was included. Hence my annoyance now at having been misled by the Volvo UK website!
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 08:20   #10
MacV50
Master Member

I think you need to get over it! Mistakes happen and your dealer has given you the correct info that was on VIDA

Do you understand what it would take to check all intake valve stems? And why only intake and not exhaust?

I would suggest doing this work night actually increase the chance of problems as so much disassembly would be required to get to the valves
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote