Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic ignition with original coil

Views : 1380

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2020, 11:20   #1
AidanC

Default Electronic ignition with original coil

Hi,

Is it possible to easily fit electronic ignition to an Amazon with the original armoured coil? I’ve seen references here to drilling the coil to access the positive wire but don’t want to do that. What other approaches can be taken?

Is there anything unique about the 12v supply at the coil? Could I just run a switched 12V supply to the ignition module positive from the fuse block?

Last edited by AidanC; Sep 26th, 2020 at 11:44.
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 12:06   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

A separate ignition system like megajolt or a 123 dizzy?

You just need +12v switched with ignition that is also on when cranking. You should just be able to leave the coil there if you want.

I did a write up on my megajolt install if you do a search, all pics are long gone though.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 12:15   #3
AidanC

Hi,

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific- I was thinking of replacing my points and condensor with either a Powerspark or Pertronix unit, keeping the existing distributor which was refurbished a few years ago.

A help desk reply from one of the above companies said that the 12V supply to the ignition module must come from the coil positive even after I explained that it wasn’t easily accessible. I always thought of it as just a 12V supply but I’m not so sure now after they were so definite about using the coil supply.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 12:24   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

This should help: http://sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignition%20...rmored%20Cable

There will be folks who’ve done this install and can help.

Last edited by Burdekin; Sep 26th, 2020 at 12:34.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 13:23   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Aidan;

You understand the underlying issue of needing to supply power, more importantly uninterrupted during Starting(!) the elec ign sys well, and how this is impossible when using the Ign Key to initiate Starting...but as long as you install a Momentary Start Switch at the same time you convert to elec ign (always a good idea, to save the Ign Key!), there no issue whatsoever powering the elec ign from terminal 54, because Loadshedding is out of the picture!

See: https://www.sw-em.com/123Ignition_in...ored_Cable.htm

The "diode cable" is an option, but as seen here (https://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Igniti...de_ORing_Cable ) the commercially made cables use an ultra-cheap 1A rated diode which has been known to fail. It is not my first choice, but iI I had to advise someone who absolutely insisted on using "diode cable" and their Ign Key for Starting (BAD!), I'd advise they use a 3A diode (like a 1N5406)!

Burdekin; Thanks for reference!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 13:44   #6
AidanC

Thanks Ron,

Is your start switch kit plug & play for cars with a steering lock/ignition key combo? I’m guessing that the basics would be the same...
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 18:17   #7
simon roberts

I have fitted Petronix,drilling the coil to connect using a conduit hole saw....covering with a grommet....works well....16 years later..👍
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simon roberts For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 20:34   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Aidan;

Late production 122s with Ign Sw in Steering Column do not use the same Ign Sw which has the Gorilla (key killer!) spring, so if that is what your car has, you would not need the Mom St Sw, which addresses the issue only found on early Ign Switches.

...and since the Steering Lock was the requisite anti-theft provision on these cars, I believe they also have the 140 style Ign Coil with primary power terminal (+) accessible (verify by inspection of Ign Coil!), which would be suitable for powering an elec Ign. Please inspect your Ign Coil to confirm this and advise!

Cheers
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 21:31   #9
AidanC

Ron,

My car is an early '67 Swedish market 121 B18A 4 speed. Interestingly it has both the steering lock and older style ignition with the hidden positive on the coil. I don't know if it was an option chosen by the original buyer or was a production anomaly. It spent most of its life in Karlstad which wasn't a hotbed of car theft as far as I know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coil.jpg (345.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Steering lock.jpg (257.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by AidanC; Sep 26th, 2020 at 21:47.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 23:34   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Aidan;

This is indeed a bit of an uncommon combination...I will study wiring of the St Col located Ign Sw as provided by Simon ( https://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switc...gnition_switch ), but it would be very helpful if you could take some well-lit pix of the Ign Sw end of the armored cable...I would particularly like to see how they made connections to the Primary + node.

Edit: ...especially the Red Wire on Terminal 15 of the St Col Ign Sw...

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Sep 26th, 2020 at 23:38.