Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to C70 ownership

Views : 857

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 08:22   #1
StevensSheds

Default New to C70 ownership

Morning

I've recently acquired a 2004 C70 convertible, a 2.4T GT manual, 78k miles, generally a very nice car indeed.

Its been many years since I've owned an older Volvo, and I am far more used to 90's Mercedes, so am on a bit of a learning curve.

Is there anything I should be doing to the car, checking etc to alleviate future issues? I've got a strut brace coming to make it less shaky shaky, and I will book it in for a timing belt in the near future as theres no history with the car, so better be safe than sorry.

The roof is a little scary, its fine at present, but would it benefit from any localised lubrication or checks to prevent failure?

I've had a read through of the sticky.

Many thanks
StevensSheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 08:58   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

A very nice car - I've had two T5 GT manuals.

The strut brace will make no difference I'm afraid, it's a wallowy old hector but you will get used to it. Super comfortable, especially the later model you have with the softer leather.

Main issues too look for on that age is worn suspension bushes (front wishbones) and strut stops all of which are easy to resolve.

Check all the speakers are working if that is important to you - as time goes on getting working spares will get harder.

I'm not aware of any roof issues, they're generally reliable if not messed about with.

I would recommend you get yourself Volvo VIDA set-up it can work with 99% of the cars electronics and you have all the repair/diagnostic procedures and part numbers specific to your car.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 23rd, 2021 at 09:00.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 09:00   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Every pivot in the hood mechanism needs a little lube and the gears need a little grease smeared on them. The hood can be stopped and started at any point to aid servicing. Having stopped the cycle I always complete that cycle before going into the next - if stopped whilst opening fully open the hood before closing and vice versa. I don't think it makes any difference, but makes me feel better.

Check the drain pipes in the front scuttle panel - they hang down from the black plastic cover in front of the fire wall. Also check the drains in the hood storage well - four big black grilles. Best way to clean them is remove the wheel arch liners and poke some wire up the pipes whilst pouring water down from above. Also remove front arch liners and check for silt build up in the bottom of the front wings

Last edited by ITSv40; Aug 23rd, 2021 at 09:24.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 12:25   #4
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The strut brace will make no difference I'm afraid, it's a wallowy old hector but you will get used to it.
Sadly I have to agree. My old C70 T5GT manual convertible had all the torsional rigidity of an overripe banana and no amount of bolted on iron will change that. Yes, I bought a strut brace and absolutely no detectable difference.
Just enjoy it for what it's meant to be - a boulevard cruiser - and steer clear of potholes.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 15:24   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

I must be the most anti strutbrace person on the planet - just boy racer bull. However, since fitting a genuine brace, my car is transformed. Not all the flexibility is removed, but now it is 'characterful ' instead of being alarmingly wobbly
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 22:51   #6
StevensSheds

Well thank you for the replies everyone, hopefully when the strut brace arrives it’ll do at least something, I’m fitting a towbar too so I’ll have extra metal at both ends.

To be honest, it’s already not as bad as I’d expected, it’s as has been described, a comfy cruiser with character.

Thanks again for the advice
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 23:15   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensSheds View Post
Well thank you for the replies everyone, hopefully when the strut brace arrives it’ll do at least something, I’m fitting a towbar too so I’ll have extra metal at both ends.
.....but to improve the stiffness you need the extra metal between the doors.

If you haven’t got one, look on eBay for a genuine Volvo windbreak/deflector that sits over the rear seats. They make a huge difference...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 09:14   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
If you haven’t got one, look on eBay for a genuine Volvo windbreak/deflector that sits over the rear seats. They make a huge difference...
....they make a huge difference to the wind and bluster in the cabin when the roof is down, I meant....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 11:52   #9
StevensSheds

Quote:
....they make a huge difference to the wind and bluster in the cabin when the roof is down, I meant....
Yes, it came with one, which was nice
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 13:02   #10
Juular

They aren't sports cars, but there's not many more relaxing drives on a nice day, listening to that 5 cylinder warble.

Some say fitting a towbar or at least the frame for one can help the handling if you really are set on it. Otherwise I'd just enjoy what is a great car.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: