Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Broken down in France need urgent advice.

Views : 1155

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2023, 19:32   #1
bigby56

Default Broken down in France need urgent advice.

Hi everyone we have broken down in France and need some good advice. I’ll try and keep this simple.
1 had ABS light come on red whilst towing caravan with our xc60 2016.
2 same time tcs light came on as well.
3 next day uncoupled tried to drive, thumping sound no power.
4 read computer, tcs engaged. To disengage put auto into sport.
5 this worked but it kept returning back.
6 phoned green flag the french comp took car away.
7 they lost car! But that’s another story greenflag are truly hopeless.
8 after a week found car.
9 meanwhile I contacted uk service and they said it’s a wheel speed sensor easy fix.
10 just been told they’ve found car, diagnostic says turbo issue!!
How can this be connected.
Has anyone had this issue before any advice gratefully received.
Cheers
bigby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 19:50   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Can you get Green Flag to recover the car and caravan back to the UK ? After losing your car, they further owe you.

I wouldn't automatically trust the alleged "turbo issue".

Get it all back to the UK and deal with a Volvo or Volvo independent dealer close to home.

This has the potential for a can of worms/Rabbit hole to open up. That's my view on the matter to date ! Good luck.

Last edited by Lancee; Sep 4th, 2023 at 21:05.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 20:06   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Can you get Green Flag to recover then car and caravan back to the UK ? After losing your car, they further owe you.

I wouldn't automatically trust the alleged "turbo issue".

Get it all back to the UK and deal with a Volvo or Volvo independent dealer close to home.

This has the potential for a can of worms/Rabbit hole to open up. That's my view on the matter to date ! Good luck.
Agree totally.

Not only that, but I would want to know how they came to 'lose' your car, 'bigby56'. It's not like it is small and easily portable like a piece of luggage, is it?

If it was me, I'd also be looking for some redress for my ruined holiday and consequential inconvenience.

Hope you get it sorted. Don't let them off the hook and let us know how you get on.

Regards, John.
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 20:30   #4
bigby56

Thanks everyone. They took the car last Tuesday. I managed to speak with a manager today at 6pm french time. I said ‘so at this moment in time you cannot accurately tell me where my car is?’ She replied that is correct. She then phoned back 1hour later they’ve found it. She says they ran diagnostics on Friday. This is in complete nonsense as on Friday the french company said they thought the car might be going to a garage but then it might not be until Monday or Tuesday.
I can’t tell you how inept greenflag have been however I now know Europe plus does not cover car hire of a car with a towbar over 1600cc so if I want to hire a car I have to (not them) search for a car hire firm that will rent me a car with a towbar that is 1600 or under.
My main issue is all the investigations from my end say that it’s a wheel sensor speed failure that is about 50-60 pounds I’m concerned that turbo will be somewhat more! Anyway another strategy is to get the diagnostic readout for greenflag to investigate. I will keep you posted but thanks for speedy replies.
bigby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 21:00   #5
Lancee
Premier Member

Check the small print in your specific cover. Below gleaned from the (Green Flag) internet.

"SUMMARY OF COVER
Our European Motoring Assistance package brings you peace of mind in the
event of a breakdown, accident, fire or theft whilst in mainland Europe
• Full cover across continental Europe and
Scandinavia
From Sweden to Sicily, the Canaries to
the Czech Republic — and everywhere in
between. Green Flag has you covered in
39 countries and principalities across the
length and breadth of Europe. See below for
the full list.
• Vehicle breakdown cover 7 days before
departure
Up to £1,500 to help you arrange a
replacement vehicle in the event of
immobilisation due to break down, accident,
fire or theft so long as your policy was in
force 7 days prior to departure.
• Emergency roadside repairs in Europe
To cover emergency repairs and/or towing
to a local garage.
• Emergency labour costs
This doesn’t include the cost of spare parts.
• Location and despatch of spare parts
If not available locally.
• Loss of vehicle use
Passengers taken to destination or up
to £1,000 for an alternative vehicle or
accommodation costs.

• Vehicle and passenger repatriation
If your vehicle is not repaired by your
scheduled return, we will transport the
vehicle and up to 9 passengers, including
the driver, to the UK.

• Chauffeur
To drive the vehicle back to the UK if the
only driver is unable to drive due to illness,
injury or death.
• Legal expenses
Up to £10,000 per person."

They lost your car which must have delayed you beyond your scheduled return ?

Last edited by Lancee; Sep 4th, 2023 at 21:10.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 21:11   #6
b1mcp

I think it will be Speed sensor.

When you first start the car, system does not know it has a faulty sensor and it engages traction control because it thinks a wheel is out of step with the others. It effectively cuts power to the wheels. I had this at Stafford Services once. Managed to crawl around car park at 2 mph for a few minutes then car works out that a senor is faulty, sets the error code, disengages traction control and off you go.

Suggest you actually unplug a sensor and that will immediately trigger speed sensor fault, disable traction control and you should be good to drive all the way home.
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 21:23   #7
Paww

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
I think it will be Speed sensor.

When you first start the car, system does not know it has a faulty sensor and it engages traction control because it thinks a wheel is out of step with the others. It effectively cuts power to the wheels. I had this at Stafford Services once. Managed to crawl around car park at 2 mph for a few minutes then car works out that a senor is faulty, sets the error code, disengages traction control and off you go.

Suggest you actually unplug a sensor and that will immediately trigger speed sensor fault, disable traction control and you should be good to drive all the way home.
Surely a faulty sensor at the wheel wouldn’t disable the whole vehicle? Lose traction control and warn you of it, yes, but not make the car underivable or even put it in limp mode? That seems unlikely.
Paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 09:09   #8
Fielding

I feel for you, bigby56. I had a similar situation 3 years ago when my car – not a Volvo - broke down in middle of rural France – very near Bergerac! I cannot help on the technical side, but some things I found that helped me deal with the breakdown insurance company (which wasn’t Green Flag):-

1. The insurers are probably looking at it from a pure cost / benefit approach. They’ll look at the value of the car vs cost of the repair and repatriation. If the car is worth less than cost of repair and repatriation they will may write it off, potentially leaving you in France and on your own to get back, as you are finding. One solution is to get your own garage in UK to quote for fixing the speed sensor issue, and get it repatriated. Or get it to the nearest Volvo dealer for it to be fixed there, as its unlikely the insurers will have had it assessed at main dealer due to August French holidays

2. Getting yourself, luggage and caravan back is another issue. My insurer would pay to get us back to the UK (ie to the French port) but not home. Its difficult to find a hire car in France at this time of year, esp adding in a company that will allow you to take the French hire car into the UK as its difficult and costly to get it back to France. Also be aware for roof boxes as these typically aren’t covered or provided by the hire car company. Public transport – eg Eurostar will be difficult given the amount of luggage and caravan. You may need to investigate options to leave caravan somewhere secure and pick it up later. Unpalatable I know, but options are limited. Otherwise do you have friend / family to come and fetch you and caravan? This is what we ended up doing with the insurers paying these costs – as it was significantly cheaper than taxi to Bordeaux to get TGV to Paris and then Eurostar to London for a family of 4! Cost / benefit again!

3. Talk up your personal situation with the insurers. They have a legal duty to look after ‘Vulnerable’ customers. Vulnerabilities include things like older age, medical conditions perhaps someone in your party is running out of medication (beware they might ask for evidence), not being able to speak French, remote location & not able to get food. Don’t explicitly say your ‘vulnerable’ as it is an industry term and they’ll pick up on it, but mention them to create a sense of urgency to help prioritise your case and potentially give them reasons to treat you better.

Sorry to be so blunt, and hope your experience is better than mine. As for my car that broke down, I got it back to the UK, clutch slave cylinder failed, and I now drive a 2016 XC60. Good Luck!
Fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 09:27   #9
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielding View Post
I feel for you, bigby56. I had a similar situation 3 years ago when my car – not a Volvo - broke down in middle of rural France – very near Bergerac! I cannot help on the technical side, but some things I found that helped me deal with the breakdown insurance company (which wasn’t Green Flag):-

1. The insurers are probably looking at it from a pure cost / benefit approach. They’ll look at the value of the car vs cost of the repair and repatriation. If the car is worth less than cost of repair and repatriation they will may write it off, potentially leaving you in France and on your own to get back, as you are finding. One solution is to get your own garage in UK to quote for fixing the speed sensor issue, and get it repatriated. Or get it to the nearest Volvo dealer for it to be fixed there, as its unlikely the insurers will have had it assessed at main dealer due to August French holidays

2. Getting yourself, luggage and caravan back is another issue. My insurer would pay to get us back to the UK (ie to the French port) but not home. Its difficult to find a hire car in France at this time of year, esp adding in a company that will allow you to take the French hire car into the UK as its difficult and costly to get it back to France. Also be aware for roof boxes as these typically aren’t covered or provided by the hire car company. Public transport – eg Eurostar will be difficult given the amount of luggage and caravan. You may need to investigate options to leave caravan somewhere secure and pick it up later. Unpalatable I know, but options are limited. Otherwise do you have friend / family to come and fetch you and caravan? This is what we ended up doing with the insurers paying these costs – as it was significantly cheaper than taxi to Bordeaux to get TGV to Paris and then Eurostar to London for a family of 4! Cost / benefit again!

3. Talk up your personal situation with the insurers. They have a legal duty to look after ‘Vulnerable’ customers. Vulnerabilities include things like older age, medical conditions perhaps someone in your party is running out of medication (beware they might ask for evidence), not being able to speak French, remote location & not able to get food. Don’t explicitly say your ‘vulnerable’ as it is an industry term and they’ll pick up on it, but mention them to create a sense of urgency to help prioritise your case and potentially give them reasons to treat you better.

Sorry to be so blunt, and hope your experience is better than mine. As for my car that broke down, I got it back to the UK, clutch slave cylinder failed, and I now drive a 2016 XC60. Good Luck!
Some very good advice above. I managed Mercedes customers breaking down abroad.

Get the car and yourselves repatriated asap.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 11:20   #10
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Horrible situation, and does indeed leave you feeling very vulnerable. We once arrived at our B&B on the first day of our holiday in Brittany to see a small stream of coolant trickling from under our Saab 9000. The 'monsieur', who spoke little English, turned out to be a retired Peugeot mechanic. He was onto it in a flash and fabricated a replacement hose from those hanging in his well-equipped garage. Two weeks later the local Saab dealership had failed to get a replacement, and the French plumbing got us back to Angleterre. I hope you can get something sorted.