Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 TD advice, please?

Views : 1009

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:53   #1
emmdee
Premier Member

Default 940 TD advice, please?

I have found a late 1994 940 Estate - as far as I can tell, it has the D24tic engine.

It's a November 1994 reg. I'm guessing, since I've seen the engine and it has an intercooler, that it is the d24tic. First owner had it for 5 years, next owner had it for 8 years. At the moment it's not running, probably due to the pump. The bodywork looks good, interior is nice. On the downside, it hasn't been running for a few months, but it did have a full service by an independent Volvo mechanic prior to being laid up. It also has 243000 miles on it, which is rather a lot. It belongs to a guy whom I think I can trust, having had him do plenty of work on both my 960 and my wife's s40, and I think if he thought it was a lemon then he'd tell me.

The spec is SE. Will this have Nivomats on the rear, as I put new Nivos on my 960 just 18 months ago and I'd swap them if I could. It also has a rather nasty stereo. I'd like to be able to swap the stereo out of my 960, which is ace, but I don't know if they're the same size, same connectors, etc. Will need to have a look at that.

It's a manual 5 speed as far as I could tell.

And a strange/daft question to finish with. I have a recently replaced battery in my 960, as well as a brand new boxed radiator for it that hasn't yet been fitted. Would I be able to use either of these in the 940?

Thanks for any help you can give.
m.d.
emmdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 11:30   #2
ivor940
Master Member

Hi The battery will probably fit. But I think the 960 rad will be too big. I got an electric fan and fan cowl from Cumbrianmales' 960 and from the size of the cowl, the 960 rad wont fit the 940 petrol. The 960 fan will fit a 940 petrol fan cowl. If the Diesel rad is wider than the Petrol one, it may fit. The hoses may be too short to match the 960 rad. You may have to move the Evaporative canister.

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 20:49   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default j p liddy

hi welcome to the 940 tdi club. i cant help you with the issuses you have. i have had my 940 tdi 8 years and not replaced any of the parts you are asking about yet. the cambelt history is most important to check . if it fails it has caused the death of many of these engins. i woud not let it do more than 6 years or 60000 miles . change the air filter once a year .clean air is a must . i change the oil and filter twice a year. i use millers xfe . the glow plugs i change mine at 5 years . peter milnes the 940 keeper is most helpful he has a vast knowledge on this model . the coments are my views only .
regards .james liddy
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 23:29   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

My glow plugs were still in the car after 15 years and 160,000 miles. I needed one injector replaced though.

Just check the battery meets the same spec as the original. They do need a heavy duty battery. The only component likley to be affected by sitting around unused for a couple of months is the battery. Check that's not the reason it won't start. They do need a good battery in my experience. If the battery is dogy they just don't do anything other than illuminate the dashboard when you turn on the ignition.

A main dealer can probably tell you if that rad can fit your car if you give them the part no and your chasiss no.

Roy
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 01:24   #5
jor
VOC 20573

Default 940 Td

There's no chance of the radiator fitting as it's from a completely different engine. VADIS should give info on what came with the car, it's widely available on auction sites, though instalation is a bit tricky.

john
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:15   #6
craig8661
Master Member

i kno the 740 desial rad will fit i have one but at the min is promised to anouther member hope you get her going

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 19:52   #7
Doctor Who ?

Smile

When I was looking for a replacement Battery for my 940 TIC, I found that the "960" (Three Litre) Battery was a higher "Spec" - just