Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P0244 Turbo Wastegate Tolerance

Views : 3899

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 16:23   #1
gumboots

Default P0244 Turbo Wastegate Tolerance

The latest in a long line of problems with my 2003 D5 S80 is a message of "Engine Sevice Required" coming up when using moderately high acceleration. The engine also drops to reduced power. The fault condition is usually self-correcting after 10-15 minutes but will kick in again under brisk acceleration.

Code reader says P0244 - Wastegate out of tolerance.

I had noticed that the acceleration had become particularly noisy and a bit rough at top Motorway speeds prior to this starting.

Before going down the costly route of replacing the turbo, I was wondering if anybody has had any similar experience and what the ultimate solution was.

Does anybody know if the are other conditions that a faulty wastegate/actuator that can cause the readout?
Is there any easy way to test the wastegate performance?

Can the wastegate/actuator be repaired/replaced independently of the turbo unit?
gumboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 16:40   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Firstly the wastegate control is calibrated to each individual turbocharger at the factory . The system is very sensitive and will detect a faulty boost before you do . Sometimes the variable vane adjuster rings in the turbocharger will crack and stick causing this .
If you are getting no where maybe try half a turn on the adjuster one way for a week , then half a turn the other for a week , it may bring the tolerance back in .
Secondly , any problem with the engine mounts leaking vacuum will affect the turbo operation as they share the same vacuum supply .. so make sure these are not leaking first ..
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 16:45   #3
gumboots

Thanks Clan.

What's the best way to check the mounts for leaking? Disconnect pipes and blank off?

Also forgot to mention averag MPG is down drastically from 50 to 39
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 16:49   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

you will find the vacuum pipe from the mounts connects to a T piece in the turbo valve feed line blank off the mounts there or clamp the mount vacuum pipe .

This code you mention isnt a volvo one not sure what it means .
If your mpg has dropped that much it might be worth checking your intercooler for leaks !
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 23:54   #5
gumboots

Checked for the usual sign of leaks - oil in the tray under the intercooler - but it's clear. Boost pipes also go solid when engine is revved so no obvious leaks there.

Could a blocked exhaust give rise to this problem? I have had the front pipe off and both sides of the section are very hevily sooted.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 20:44   #6
nickmcd

Hi did you solve this problem as I have exactly the same problem?
nickmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 23:55   #7
gumboots

No,not completely fixed it although I did take the turbo control valve off and squirt an elctrical contact cleaner/solvent into it as it appeared to be not holding vacuum. It has improved the situation, I haven't gone into limp mode for a couple of months although a 'heavy boot' gives a cloud of black smoke.

I am really short of time at the moment so am putting up with it but will check the valve again soon and try to make some further progress.

It is not too difficult to get the valve off but awkward to test without a decent vacuum tester. If it's still leaking next time I'll change it but at £100+, I want to make sure it is the culprit (or at least part of the problem).
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:43   #8
MikeGN

Hi I S80 02 D5 and seem to be having a similar problem, I see mention of the turbo control valve, where do I find this?

Thanks

Mike
MikeGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:39   #9
gumboots

Valve position is shown by the arrow in the picture. It is located behind the hose. It is held in place by a torx screw top and bottom. Watch that the screw or bit don't fall because they lodge behind the starter solenoid underneath the hose and are a pig to get out (wire coat hangar is useful if it happens).

Might as well take the time to clean the EGR/plenum mixer while you are in there. There is a good write up Here

BTW my S80 is still not running right but, since cleaning the TCV with the spray, I have not had P0244 or power loss on hard acceleration. Still noisy and smoking quite heavily on hard acceleration but no obvious leak in boost pipes or intercooler. Looks like a new turbo might be the next step.

HTH Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5_TCV_Location.jpg (124.0 KB, 73 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to gumboots For This Useful Post: