Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ecm fault codes - ecm 3503

Views : 7700

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 21:49   #1
scootmuldoon

Angry Ecm fault codes - ecm 3503

Hi all, Im really sorry about this long thread -

I recently had another thread going on here about my 'X' reg C70 T5 called 'misfire problems when cold.'

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=61077

I took the car to an independant garage to get checked over about 2 weeks ago and was told that my throttle body needed cleaned. I booked my car into my nearest Volvo dealer to get this done. They told me that they would carry out there own diagnostics of the car before continuing with the clean and upgrade to confirm that it was actually the throttle body needing cleaned causing the misfire.

I dropped the car off on monday 1st Dec and got a call the next day saying that it wasn't the throttle body, and that i needed new plugs. I informed them that i had recently got the car serviced which included the cambelt being changed and that the plugs were ok. They said that i was best to change them which they then did. They also checked the timing etc and found it to be perfect. They then left it overnight and started it again the next morning (wednesday) and said that it was still running rough. They then informed me that they were pretty sure (99.99%)that the injectors were faulty and were going to carry out a leak test on them. They then got back to me confirming that injectors 1, 3 and 5 were all leaking into the cylinders overnight causing the car to misfire the next day. The fault codes they found were -

3513 , 3533 and 3553.

They convinced me to go ahead and order 3 new injectors as by this time i just wanted the car fixed and back.

They then phoned me on friday confirming that the new injectors had arrived and will be fitted that day if i wanted to go and pick the car up in the afternoon. I spoke with the service manager and asked if it was ok to pick the car up on saturday. Meaning it would let them try it again in the morning to make sure the car was fixed.

I go to collect the car on saturday before 12 to find that there is no one there to meet me as agreed. Ended up with a sales assistant dealing with me asking if i was sure that my car was ready. I told him yes as i was phoned on friday afternoon confirming this. He then spent about 20 mins searching for my keys then hit me with the bill of £514. I paid the bill and asked if the car was ok. He told me that it was and off i went.

I started the car up and it had a slight misfire as before(but not as bad). I thought it was maybe just me so drove the car home (about 15 miles). I found that the car was slightly hesitant whereas it wasn't before i took it to them. I parked the car up and never used it again until the next day(sunday). I started the car up from cold and straight away the engine management light started to flicker on and off with it running rougher than ever. I turned the car off and left it a few minutes before starting it again. Straight away the engine light came on with black smoke pouring out the exhaust and running terrible(worse than when i took it to Volvo).

I tried phoning the service desk but they were shut. I parked the car up and left it overnight.

First thing this morning (monday) i drove straight to Volvo with the light on and spoke immediately to the lady at the service desk complaining that my car was worse than before and that i was just over £500 worse off for it. She went and got the service manager to whom i then spoke to. He said that they would investigate the problem saying that maybe the 3 new injectors were actually faulty or that maybe the mechanic working on the car has made an error somewhere. Said that he would phone me later in the day. I never got a call so i went back to see him, he phoned accross to the workshop and the mechanic said that he was still working on it. The mechanic now confirmed that injectors 1,3,4 and 5 were now faulty and that fault code -

ECM3503

was now coming up. Was asked if i could leave it with them again overnight so that they could start it again from cold in the morning. They said that they would carry out some leak tests etc and recheck any work that they had previously carried out on it.

By now i have kind of lost faith in them as they diagnosed the car and fitted new plugs and 3 new injectors confiming that this was the problem. Now the car is worse with them saying that i maybe need 4 new injectors now and i feel i have paid all that money for nothing! All i can do is wait until they phone me back.

Has anyone had the same codes or problems as myself in the past as i cant find anything on the search relating to this?

Many thanks in advance.

Again sorry for the long thread!
scootmuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 07:53   #2
bonus123

i feel for ye mate,nowt worse than gettin stiched up by useless rat baskets who dont know there rrr's from there elbows,hope it gets sorted soon without any more hard earned foldy goin over the counter
bonus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 17:18   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Here is a link for the fault code:

http://www.ppc-diagnostic.com/codes/eECM/c3503/

I would think there is something obvious being missed, the thing that comes to mind that would affect multiple cylinders and cause rich running is high fuel pressure at idle.
This could be due to a problem with the fuel pressure regulator or its vacuum connections.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote