Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC60 and Bluetooth/GSM Phones and other questions!

Views : 18681

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2009, 23:20   #1
DBGlos

Default New XC60 and Bluetooth/GSM Phones and other questions!

Hi people

I wonder if any of you can help...

I was thinking of getting the GSM option for my new XC60 but dealer seems to think that bluetooth is the way to go but Im not so sure! I have found over the years that functionality with bluetooth phones can vary between models with problems transferring contacts lists with some phones and auto-connection problems with others.

I have a BlackBerry Storm and an Apple iPhone and I am wondering if anyone has tried either of these with the XC60 bluetooth?

Also, if I do choose the bluetooth option, can the phone be operated entirely from the steering controls as per the inbuilt GSM phone? Does choosing the GSM phone and Volvo On-call option preclude any other options?

In addition, if I choose the DynAudio system, does it include an iPod connector as standard as I don't particularly want to use the Aux in as the iPod cannot be controlled from the Aux input - any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Thanks guys

Plus, any other tips you can give would be great!
DBGlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 23:30   #2
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGlos View Post
Yes ..... Try another dealer as this one seems to want to sell you what he wants!!

I have an XC90 with inbuilt phone and its great to use. I also have a Storm and an iPhone which I connect to my VW Golf via bluetooth and find the iPhone does not always connect automatically and the Storm is a bugger to set up.

Ultimately, the decision is yours but we all have our preferences.

Good luck,

Marc
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 23:33   #3
DBGlos

Cheers for that.

I was wondering if the GSM phone excludes other options though because the online configurator seems to think that other things need removing!

Any ideas?
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 00:31   #4
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Cheers for that.

I was wondering if the GSM phone excludes other options though because the online configurator seems to think that other things need removing!

Any ideas?
I was used to the XC90's, integrated phone system, but now have an XC60, with the bluetooth phone.

I have found the "bluetooth", a slight pain, compared to the "intergrated phone", but at 67, maybe, I am not as bright, as some younger people.

To date, I have tried 4 different mobiles:-

Nokia 6310i - Phone book, transfer ok, but does not show the network.

Nokia 6300, Motorala Raz3 and Samsung 900 SGH-i900V - all transfer the phone book and show the network.

If you go into the Volvo web site, you will find a link to "Bluetooth Compatible Phones", unfortunately, they are lagging behind, with the latest mobiles.

My XC60, has an "Aux" connection, but not, the "USB" connection.
I think that, one has to specify, this option, when ordering the car.

Can, I, finally, suggest, that you take your mobile phone, to your Volvo Dealership and try and connect, to their Demo Model, of the XC60 and then you will know for sure, if it is going to be compatibly, or not.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 00:48   #5
DBGlos

Great idea - Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for all the info - greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 10:05   #6
Dave Brown

Hi people

I was thinking of getting the GSM option for my new XC60 but dealer seems to think that bluetooth is the way to go but Im not so sure! I have found over the years that functionality with bluetooth phones can vary between models with problems transferring contacts lists with some phones and auto-connection problems with others.

I have a BlackBerry Storm and an Apple iPhone and I am wondering if anyone has tried either of these with the XC60 bluetooth?
Iphone works fine with XC60, bit of a pain to set up first time, see below.
Not tried a storm but the pearl works fine, again easier to connect phone to car rather than other way round but then OK

Also, if I do choose the bluetooth option, can the phone be operated entirely from the steering controls as per the inbuilt GSM phone? Does choosing the GSM phone and Volvo On-call option preclude any other options?
Full control over phone from steering wheel with bluetooth, only incompatible option is trying to have both!

In addition, if I choose the DynAudio system, does it include an iPod connector as standard as I don't particularly want to use the Aux in as the iPod cannot be controlled from the Aux input - any advice you can give would be appreciated!
Dynaudio gives you a USB port in the centre console that you will need a normal ipod lead for, but works well.

Hope this helps

Dave

Dave Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 18:35   #7
adambsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
Hi people

Iphone works fine with XC60, bit of a pain to set up first time, see below.
Not tried a storm but the pearl works fine, again easier to connect phone to car rather than other way round but then OK

Full control over phone from steering wheel with bluetooth, only incompatible option is trying to have both!

Dynaudio gives you a USB port in the centre console that you will need a normal ipod lead for, but works well.

Hope this helps

Dave
Dave - can you shed any light on setting up the Iphone - you said above it's a pain. I get my car a week on Sunday so want all my gadgets working!

Cheers
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 18:58   #8
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Dave,

I've been after an iPhone 3G for sometime, but was told it won't work with Volvo's Bluetooth Kit, others say it does.

Its not on Volvo's list of phones.

Can you confirm if it does work and if there is any known issues (like with most handsets).

Cheers

Chaddie

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 20:55   #9
adambsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie View Post
Dave,

I've been after an iPhone 3G for sometime, but was told it won't work with Volvo's Bluetooth Kit, others say it does.

Its not on Volvo's list of phones.

Can you confirm if it does work and if there is any known issues (like with most handsets).

Cheers

Chaddie
This link seems to confirm that the iPhone 3g works (mostly):

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/salesa...s/default.aspx
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 20:03   #10
asbachuk

Quote:
Hi people

Thanks guys

I can tell you that the High Def stereo and DynAudio both have the ipod and USB connection, as to actually controlling the ipod via the stereo, any decent salesman should be able to tell you.
I have just bought the XC60 with the bluetooth option, because i need mobile availability on the road. I have 2 phones, Nokia E71 and N95, plus my wife has a Samsung Soul. They all connect fine but accessing and downloading the phone book is a nightmare, none of them actually were able to access it. I have checked Volvos compatability list and its seems if you have a Sony Ericsson then you are fine, all the facilities are available.

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/salesa...s/default.aspx

gives you the list of phones and their compatability

Regards
asbachuk is offline   Reply With Quote