Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

converting 940 2.3 lpt to lpg

Views : 2390

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 21:10   #1
tenminute

Smile converting 940 2.3 lpt to lpg

Can anyone advise me on converting a 940 2.3 lpt est to lpg. Had a 940 est a few years ago but had to change it due to fuel consumption. At the time no one was keen to attempt a conversion. Have been advised that since then things have moved on & now not problem. Any advice on problems encountered, costs, recomended installers etc would be appreciated.
tenminute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 14:52   #2
peter8315

hi, i used to have a 940 and a 940 2.3 turbo both had lpg i bought the kit and fitted myself on the 2ltr, cost £800.00 this was for the single point system, wich was absolutely fine never had a problem with it at all, the 2.3 turbo i bought with single poiint system already fitted, had to change the vapouriser, culd smell gas in the car, but after that was perfect, i now have a 960 with latest multipoint injection, and that is great, but i feel that there is more to go wrong with this system, and is more expensive, best to check around your area for best deal. Ihave been running on lpg now for six years, was 35p a ltr when i first got hooked, i feel now that it is getting over priced at some outlets and i think this will be the downfall of autogas.
peter8315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 21:15   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Peter's right, the price incentive is fading away a bit.

The conversion cost will be £1500 to £1700 to have it done - and with the regs now in place DIY is probably not the better option.

My V70 was lpg'd 4 years and 120k miles ago, and I reckon it took about 20,000 miles to recoup the cost. Back then LPG was 29p per litre, and petrol around 80p, so the differential was pretty substantial.

If you do a big mileage and intend to keep the car then it will be worth it - otherwise possibly not.

Your fuel economy on LPG will be about 80 to 90% of that on petrol, so if the car returns 28mpg on petrol it will give 25mpg on gas.

28 miles on petrol at 90p per litre is £4.10 per gallon, or 14.6p per mile.

25 miles on gas at 52p per litre is £2.36 per gallon, or just under 10p per mile

Use this as the basis for your calculation. LPG is generally a bit less than 52p per litre just now - as low as 46p in some places, but to go on the pricey side is probably best.

One feature is that good diesels have got cheaper and better in the past couple of years, and a carefully driven S80 D5 will probably cost no more than 10p per mile to fuel.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 23:47   #4
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default lpg

Consider also getting it done in the netherlands. At least 35 years of
experience in conversions.

Main dealer and installer VOGELS .
He will also redirect you to affiliated colleages.

succes ,Brodgar
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 21:51   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar View Post
Consider also getting it done in the netherlands. At least 35 years of
experience in conversions.

Main dealer and installer VOGELS .
He will also redirect you to affiliated colleages.

succes ,Brodgar
Could be good, but watch out for any insurance or DVLA complications. You will need an installation certificate, and whilst I am sure that our Dutch friends will do the job properly, you need to be sure their certification is acceptable to the DVLA and to UK insurers - otherwise you'll have to shell out for another UK inspection!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 00:43   #6
distazio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenminute View Post
Can anyone advise me on converting a 940 2.3 lpt est to lpg. Had a 940 est a few years ago but had to change it due to fuel consumption. At the time no one was keen to attempt a conversion. Have been advised that since then things have moved on & now not problem. Any advice on problems encountered, costs, recomended installers etc would be appreciated.
if u really wont to diy, then get single point the 940 t runs well, howvere your lambdda light will come on when on gas, u ould do it for about £500 quid, see tartarini, lavato. u will need a lpg place that has the settings for the software though.
distazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 00:45   #7
distazio

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Peter's right, the price incentive is fading away a bit.

The conversion cost will be £1500 to £1700 to have it done - and with the regs now in place DIY is probably not the better option.

My V70 was lpg'd 4 years and 120k miles ago, and I reckon it took about 20,000 miles to recoup the cost. Back then LPG was 29p per litre, and petrol around 80p, so the differential was pretty substantial.

If you do a big mileage and intend to keep the car then it will be worth it - otherwise possibly not.

Your fuel economy on LPG will be about 80 to 90% of that on petrol, so if the car returns 28mpg on petrol it will give 25mpg on gas.

28 miles on petrol at 90p per litre is £4.10 per gallon, or 14.6p per mile.

25 miles on gas at 52p per litre is £2.36 per gallon, or just under 10p per mile

Use this as the basis for your calculation. LPG is generally a bit less than 52p per litre just now - as low as 46p in some places, but to go on the pricey side is probably best.

One feature is that good diesels have got cheaper and better in the past couple of years, and a carefully driven S80 D5 will probably cost no more than 10p per mile to fuel.

Cheers

Jack
Good point Jack, in all honesty LPG is just a fad it allways was,
What it will cost u to do then when u sell no one wonts your car, its still a petrol car value, also the MPG is trebble Get a Diesel and have done with it
distazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 19:35   #8
markd

Default My understanding is

that some makes of sequential lpg (Bigas for example) react badly to low resistance injectors which are on some 940's. Search for I think it was GeoffB who had problems with another make. I have not been able to find the information on what are the resistances of the injectors on each model 940 yet although I am building a list of bosch injector numbers and may ask bosch uk. TinleyTech have kits that will be 1000 pounds if going the DIY route and will tell you if the kit is compatable. I really dont think LPG has much of a future beyond the next few years. It depends how much you like the 940's as to wether its worth doing. It sounds like you don't yet have the 940 to convert so an alternative way of thinking is to decide how much you are spending on a car for example a good 940 can be had for 1000 pounds and another 1000 to DIY convert. What other car would you rather drive that will do maybe 50mpg on a run or 40 local that you could get for 2000 pounds? Deisel Passat, Audi A4, Skoda Octavia Mk1, are options.
Mark
markd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:31   #9
GeoffB

Default LPG enabling a 940 lpt

Yes, be careful... some kits do not work. I am still in the middle of a legal nightmare in relation to this issue. It statred in July '06. Most know who I am talking about, enough said!

OMVL Dream does not work on the lpt.

I recommend Steve Adams( see below) as one of the best in the business. Honest and moral too! There are a lot of cowboys in the lpg industry. I could write a book on it.

He stepped in and stopped me being shafted by a little mafia like lpg who set about covering up their screw up.

Can't praise him enough. He's to be found here:-

http://www.lpgautoconversions.co.uk/

Take Care

Geoff
GeoffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:40   #10
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

I really dont think LPG has much of a future beyond the next few years. It depends how much you like the 940's as to wether its worth doing.
Mark[/QUOTE]

HI
Well I was told this same fairy tail in mid 1960 when I converted my old Austin Devon.Its still running on Lpg [ Tartrini66 vaporiser]
Gas will still be avalable years after Oil has run out and is just a memory.
Its a by product of Oil , but it also is found in large pockets on its own , also LPG cars can be run on other types of gas with a little conversion.
Regards
Mike B
740GLE LPG 49.9 P per ltr 26ish mpgal
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote