Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6 S drive 2010 model start stop problem

Views : 11827

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2009, 18:12   #1
MOLLYPOPPY

Default 1.6 S drive 2010 model start stop problem

I have had this car four weeks with no issues until today. The start stop function is not working as of today, checked all the necessary factors buttons, manuals etc etc no wiser as to what is wrong with it. Anyone any ideas?

Oh and has anyone been getting the so called 72.4 mpg
MOLLYPOPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 18:23   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

there are certain circumstances and situations where this function will not work , see your dealer he has a bulletin on this , but if it doesnt work at all like it used to then i assume there is a fault , dealer will be able to check it out ...

I have read a couple of road tests where the driver has got into the 70's mpg remarkable really . But you have to drive in an economical way , if you usualy get say 45 mpg from your normal 1.6 D then dont suddenly expect to get 75 mpg from the DRIVe model .
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 16:39   #3
b1nuzz

There are lots of factors where the start/stop wont work.

If the external temperature is too low, it wont turn off, if you are low on fuel it wont turn off. The the battery charge/voltage is too low it wont turn off.

If you don't reckon its any of those, give your dealer a call.

With the MPG, give the car chance. A brand new engine wont return the best mpg straight away. give it time and hoepfuly you will see the results.
b1nuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to b1nuzz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 17:46   #4
Joe_Sp

What MPG are you getting? How many miles have you done?

I have had DRIVe R-design (not start/stop) for 4 weeks and 2700 miles. I am averaging 54 mpg but can get into the 60's but I have to drive like a saint. The key is maintaining momentum and accelerate gently.

Have you checked your tyres are at eco pressure (36psi irc).
Joe_Sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:50   #5
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Sp View Post

I have had DRIVe R-design (not start/stop) for 4 weeks and 2700 miles. I am averaging 54 mpg but can get into the 60's but I have to drive like a saint. The key is maintaining momentum and accelerate gently.

My 2.0d is averageing 51mpg over 100k miles and I can easily get it over 60mpg per tank with type of use my car gets (motorway) and of course by driving style.

I'm very interested with performance feedback on this model as I may well go for one of these when I change my car. So keep the data coming please guys.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 13:00   #6
MOLLYPOPPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Sp View Post

Aroung 45mpg only 700 miles on the engine.
MOLLYPOPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 08:54   #7
TonyM
VOC Member

I've got a 1.6D DRIVe S with 4000 miles on the clock and am averaging around 55mpg for my normal driving.

Had a holiday in Scotland a couple of weeks ago, did 1500 miles of very varied driving and averaged 60mpg for the whole week. On the trip up there (about 500 miles of mostly motorway and motorway standard roads with some crawling through roadworks and congestion) it averaged 65mpg.

I don't think that's too bad for a new engine. I understand that diesel engines take a while to get the maximum fuel economy.

On the performance front, in spite of being tuned for economy it has a surprisingly powerful burst of acceleration when you need it. You would need to drive one to see for yourself.

By the way, mine's a C30 2009 model

Last edited by TonyM; Nov 9th, 2009 at 09:01.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 21:23   #8
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I've got a 1.6D DRIVe S with 4000 miles on the clock and am averaging around 55mpg for my normal driving.

I don't think that's too bad for a new engine. I understand that diesel engines take a while to get the maximum fuel economy.

I think any car from new will take at least 12 000 iles before it loosens up.

Personally, I drive at under 2000 revs for the first 3000 miles just to ensure everything is bedding in nicely. I know that this is perhaps unnecessary according to handbook and especially with modern machining tolerances, but I've found that this ensures that engine will have a long life with less chance of failure at higher mileages.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 16:01   #9
Graham Hamilton

Hello Mollypoppy,
I have the same start stop problem that you encountered. Did you get to the bottom of it?
Best regards,
Graham Hamilton
Graham Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 16:38   #10
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLLYPOPPY View Post
Oh and has anyone been getting the so called 72.4 mpg
Nowhere near. We have a 2009 1.6D DRIVe SE and it averages 45 with a pretty equal mix of town/A/B/motorway driving. Took it fully loaded to France and back (2,000 mile return trip) with roofbox and motorway driving all the way and the best it got was 41mpg average.

I've not had a lightly loaded long journey yet to see what's achievable in more ideal conditions but I'd wager it would struggle to top 55mpg at best. Why the DRIVe model used to only have 5 gears I'll never know. That kills the MPG on the motorway.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote