Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed cylinder head

Views : 8747

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 22:48   #1
welshlamb

Default Failed cylinder head

Oct 2003 V70 D5 was in for 2nd cambelt change at 188k. Not aware of any problems but wanted it done before I put the car up for sale. On test drive by mechanic (a "few hundred yards" ) the car lost power and limped back to the (indie)garage.

Subsequent strip shows severe damage to cylinder head where cavities that rocker posts fit into have fractured (4 of them), with front sections broken off! Garage says it can't be anything to do with ther service. New bare head £1450! Second hand unavailable so after 5 weeks they have found someone who will weld/machine repair (they have done a few like this its claimed).

1st objective is to get car back together but I'm wondering what payment situation will be, garage says they will "help out" on labor only. Any ideas of what might have caused failure (cams valves and piston tops all look ok) or suggest what I might want to do? Its my third V70 and second diesel and I've had no problems apart from maintenance parts to date (last Tdi was written off by a wild boar but that doesn't count)

Cheers Ralph
welshlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 18:19   #2
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Sounds more than a bit sus
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 18:32   #3
jonnyjohnson

Valve timing out after cam belt fitted and valves have hit pistons and damaged valve train?
jonnyjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 18:48   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

If the car was working when it went into the garage should it not also be working when it leaves? I thought that was the whole idea ?
Also if you have not physically been involved with the car in any way during this interim period, and the car failed when their mechanic was driving it after carrying out work, how can you possibly be held responsible in any way for the cars failure ? Just my humble opinion. Personally, and without prejudice! I think it sounds like a c**k up with the cambelt change.

Last edited by Lancee; Apr 1st, 2010 at 20:03.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 19:39   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

I agree with the above , the damage you describe is typical of valves hitting pistons due to cam timing being wrong for whatever reason .. They have ruined your engine its up to them to put it right professionaly , NOT by welding those cam follower bores thats a bodge that WILL cause another catastrophic failure in the future . Another point when these cam follower bores break due to the pistons hitting trhe valves the camshaft bearing caps inevitably crack too , this is designed to happen to protect the bottom end of the engine . Your head is a write off at the very least ..

You need to know exactly what has caused this , was it the auxilary belt which came off and tangled in the cam belt ? Was it the cam belt tensioner not adjusted properly? Did they even get the cam timing correct ? Did the lower crankshaft pulley come loose ?
A vital bit of evidence here is where is their proof that they changed the crankshaft pulley 4 bolts and large nut ? How did they do up the crank pulley nut to 300 nm without the volvo tool to hold the pulley? An air power gun is NOT enough ... These must be changed as they are stretch bolts .
You need a head either new from volvo with a set of rocker arms and hydraulic followers ( £450 alone ) or used , i wouldnt be happy with them doing the job either , i would get a dealer to fix it and send the garage the bill . Or sue them in the small claims court if they are not happy with that .. they dont have a leg to stand on ..
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 19:41   #6
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I would get legal advice and get it quickly. They owe you a car!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 21:17   #7
Bernard333
Premier Member

There have regularly been complete used D5 engines on ebay with cylinder head for approx £ 700 and even a brand new D5 engine on original Volvo pallet went for approx £1400 again complete with cylinder head fitted ( that was listed twice before someone bought it ) although as said already I wouldnt allow your existing garage to fit a new engine .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:27   #8
Dynosaur
GoldMember

From a legal perspective, an open and shut case in your favour.
Plus, given that they were insufficiently diligent in carrying out the original change, you're fully entitled to take it to a competent repairer (Volvo shop) for remedy.

Get it picked up and properly repaired, send them the bill with a recorded delivery threatening recovery proceedings unless you're fully reimbursed within two weeks (together with any consequent costs - car hire, etc).

Don't let them bodge a fix, as this will complicate a court case.
Just turn up with the recovery truck and don't leave without the car.
They're looking down the wrong end of £2-3K, by the looks.

Hopefully an expensive lesson will teach them to exercise a little more care in future.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 15:00   #9
bogart
Master Member

Do we believe the "few hundred yards" tale. Wouldn't a few yards alone be enough if job not done correctly?
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 01:29   #10
David Mck

Welsh Lamb i feel sorry for the situation you now find yourself in. Without a shadow of a doubt the failure is due to mistiming between the crank and cam (due to the belt). My car is due and toyed with doing it myself or a local garage, thinking as there is no fuel pump timing to wory about it would be easy, then your see that there is play on both sides of the belt and that Volvo recommend turning the engine over by hand several times to check the timing marks and tension before starting the engine! My guess is the garage have set up the marks then adjusted the tension and they have been a few teeth out. as the head is alloy welding is a complete no no and as previously stated a new head and valve train components is the way to go. As for the legal route i think that is risky without talking to the garage first as the value of the car may not be as high as what a main dealer will charge you for a new engine and a 60 quid an hour labour rate. From my field and legal experience they would only be liable to what you have lost and not what it actually costs? therefore i recon you suggest to the garage you have taken legal advice and ask them to issue an order to the dealer and arrange transport or else you will then take legal action. Hopefully this will spur them to supply a new engine via ebay and ask them to stick a new clutch in for you and youll pay for the parts! that way you will hopefully get a new car as some compensaton for the mesing about. If they dont play ball go down the legal route as they have F**kd up and should have fixed it before calling you (BTW they should be insured for these things). Good luck on your quest.
David Mck is offline   Reply With Quote