Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just 37 miles and stopped!!

Views : 7671

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 21:08   #1
GrahamTB

Default Just 37 miles and stopped!!

Collected my new XC60 yesterday and after 37 miles the car stopped. The fuel gauge showed 1/4 tank of fuel. Volvo Assist turned up with a can of fuel. I said the fuel gauge shows there is fuel, but the engine will not start. He said "just watch". After he put the fuel in, the car started - he said this is a common problem.

Thinking the fuel gauge was faulty I filled up with fuel, but this proved there had been a 1/4 tank of fuel when the car stopped.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Has anyone suitably qualified got any ideas what the problem might be and how it can be rectified?

MY11 XC60 D5 AWD SE Lux Premium Geartronic
GrahamTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 21:49   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

You really need to get the car to the dealer , they have the technical back up of the volvo factory who may or may not have had this before and if so will have a fix for sure ..
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 22:03   #3
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamTB View Post
Has anyone suitably qualified got any ideas what the problem might be and how it can be rectified?
No one more qualified than Clan !
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 155mph For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 00:27   #4
Teejay1
Master Member

Sorry I can't help either but I'm sure we'd all like to know what the dealer says.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 08:07   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamTB View Post
Collected my new XC60 yesterday and after 37 miles the car stopped. The fuel gauge showed 1/4 tank of fuel. Volvo Assist turned up with a can of fuel. I said the fuel gauge shows there is fuel, but the engine will not start. He said "just watch". After he put the fuel in, the car started - he said this is a common problem.

Thinking the fuel gauge was faulty I filled up with fuel, but this proved there had been a 1/4 tank of fuel when the car stopped.

Has anyone else experienced this?

MY11 XC60 D5 AWD SE Lux Premium Geartronic
I am sure that this has been reported before (once) on the forum, though I cannot find it - may have been lost in the crashes, or maybe my searching is not good enough.

As I recall it was simple fix

Update with URL

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ight=fuel+tank

Last edited by wimorrison; Jun 27th, 2010 at 08:39.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 09:32   #6
GrahamTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I am sure that this has been reported before (once) on the forum, though I cannot find it - may have been lost in the crashes, or maybe my searching is not good enough.

As I recall it was simple fix

Update with URL

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ight=fuel+tank
Thanks for that.

If anyone knows how it can be fixed it would be helpful, because I forsee being in exactly the same position as the person who experienced this before, with numerous trips back to the dealer and no proof the problem has been fixed. The car suddenly stopping in the outside lane of the motorway is no fun.

The fact that Volvo Assist regularly encounter the same problem proves there must be others out there with story to tell. Let's hope one of them reads this excellent forum.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 10:04   #7
Daleman
Master Member

Very sorry this happened to you especially on a new car pick up. Very disconcerting I am sure .As I left my dealer on new car pickup recently I asked how much fuel was in it ?

Twenty pounds worth he said which I thought was a bit measly but thinking about it we do such "tight deals" on them nowadays I think they have to watch every penny to try and claw some back. Ten miles down the road I put another £30 worth in as I had sixty miles to go and as the salesman had just told me to disregard any information given by the computer for 500 miles as it takes that mileage to acquire the ability to give accurate information I was distrusting of the fuel gauge anyway.

Last edited by Daleman; Jun 27th, 2010 at 10:48. Reason: spellcheck
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 10:53   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

yes the "miles to go" is variable as it is based on the average and current fuel consumption which can vary of course . dont rely on this figure thats what the fuel gauge is for , its a very accurate instument ,Unfortunate for the two which ran out of fuel with 1/4 tank showing , but perhaps there was actualy 1/4 tank left or one of the two float senders has fouled something in the tank ..
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:33   #9
GrahamTB

According to the dealer, Volvo are not aware of a tank/gauge/pump problem, but as we know from this and other forums there have been problems in the past. Surely they will have been made aware of these. Perhaps they have never found a solution and XC60s intermittenly "run out" of fuel when 1/4 full. If one owner had the whole tank renewed and he still encountered the problem, this is not very encouraging.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 13:09   #10
jupa3

My my10 XC60 R-design has had this same fuel gauge problem twice, both times car saying there is 130-160km fuel left on tank and it suddenly stopped. Refilling fuel helped to start the vehicle.

Has anyone identified problem yet, my dealer isn't aware of the problem.

Last edited by jupa3; Oct 21st, 2010 at 13:12.
jupa3 is offline   Reply With Quote